Question So, I changed my ram speed and now win 10 is broken?

JustAComputerUser

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
So, I changed my ram speed in my BIOS cause it was absolutely terrible. I ran Userbenchmark test, and my ram showed really bad performance. So I went into the BIOS, and changed into something called XMP, and ran the test again. My ram showed way better performance, but now I can't click the little windows icon, or the search icon bottom left (windows 10) and I can't press the windows key on my keyboard, and I can't press windows+tab or anything. But Explorer.exe works fine.

I have an I7-4770k and a z-87k motherboard. Should be the latest BIOS update.

What I did was select XMP profile 1, and it did increase my performance.. but now I can't drag files around on the desktop, and basically windows 10 doesn't work.

Last edited:

JustAComputerUser

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
and what is the model of the ram?
and did the xmp have profile 2?
No only profile 1.
Slot 1: DDR 3 Corsair 8192 MB (Part number: CMY16GX3M2A2400C11)
Slot 2: DDR 3 G.Skill 4096 MB (Part number: F3-17000CL 11-4GBXL)
Slot 3: DDR 3 Corsair 8192 MB (Part number: CMY16GX3M2A2400C11)
Slot 4: DDR 3 G.Skill 4096 MB (Part number: F3-17000CL 11-4GBXL)

JustAComputerUser

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I disabled xmp, and still doesn't work <<
And my ram sticks are the same brand, for each channel. So not mixing them
You are mixing them, the fact you have same brand in one channel doesn’t matter. RAM is only guaranteed to work without issues in the kits it is sold. Even mixing 2 kits of the exact same make and model can have issues, yes I have first hand experience of this with some Corsair Vengence DDR3 kits that I tried mixing. Only way they would boot was slowest speed, loosening the timings and over volting.

JustAComputerUser

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
You are mixing them, the fact you have same brand in one channel doesn’t matter. RAM is only guaranteed to work without issues in the kits it is sold. Even mixing 2 kits of the exact same make and model can have issues, yes I have first hand experience of this with some Corsair Vengence DDR3 kits that I tried mixing. Only way they would boot was slowest speed, loosening the timings and over volting.

So what should I do? Should I reinstall windows trying to fix the windows apps not working. And then running the 16gb 2400mhz ones? and taking out the other sticks?

And Would it matter if I use 2 or 4 rather than 1 or 3? Because my water cooler is in the way of my corsair ones.