So i found out my memory is corrupt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIL0

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Recently, i've ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic test on my computer, because i have received 3 bluescreens of death in total.

The test did not complete, it was stuck on stage 2, at 2% or was it 3%.

Either way, my computer runs fine... and i don't know if i should replace the current memory or not.
Will the RAM get worse over time? should i solve this right away? it's not bothering me right now, other than the fact that my memory is half corrupt. It could possible affect me if i'm doing my Homework and it BSoDs on me randomly.

What are my nextsteps?

Solution
D
I would run memtest for 8 to 10 hours just to be sure. If any errors show up there you know you have a bad stick.

Is you memory running at the correct voltages, speed and timings?

As long as you have everything set correctly in BIOS any errors at all will mean a bad stick with memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/

If you do get errors try the RAM in different slots. That will rule out a bad slot on the motherboard.

You will want to replace the bad RAM as soon as you can. Most RAM has a lifetime warranty. Bad memory can cause all kinds of errors and even corrupt your operating system.
D

Deleted member 217926

I would run memtest for 8 to 10 hours just to be sure. If any errors show up there you know you have a bad stick.

Is you memory running at the correct voltages, speed and timings?

As long as you have everything set correctly in BIOS any errors at all will mean a bad stick with memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/

If you do get errors try the RAM in different slots. That will rule out a bad slot on the motherboard.

You will want to replace the bad RAM as soon as you can. Most RAM has a lifetime warranty. Bad memory can cause all kinds of errors and even corrupt your operating system.

Solution

MIL0

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks! will do as per your advice, asap.
My computer was made by Dell, so they have all the voltage stuff down. But if i was to check if they made any mistakes, what would i have to do in the BIOS? I didn't OC my memory sticks at all. Would I just have to check that the speed, timing and voltage are all normal?

D

Deleted member 217926

If you have a Dell you likely have locked BIOS and would not be able to adjust voltages especially but probably not timings or speed either.

MIL0

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Oh no. Something else happend recently. It Happend twice the same day.

When i turn on my computer, and don't wait for it to load fully (like as it starts up, turns on antivirus, explorer.exe, dell dock) then my USB peripherals all turn off. They don't receive any signal or power. Again, this happens before everything loads, and i try to start up something like microsoft word, chrome/firefox, etc.

is this memory related?

Status
Not open for further replies.