So I got an SSD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightsbane

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
So I have my entire system running on an hdd, and I just recently purchased an ssd and I want to boot windows form the ssd and not the hdd. I would do a clean install like all these answers to my question are recommending, but I don't have the windows disk anymore and I don't have the key to it anyways... plus it's a windows 7 disk and I did the free upgrade to windows 10 a while ago. I WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO MOVE MY OS TO MY SSD WITHOUT DESTROYING EVERYTHING!!! Any help would be much appreciated :)

Solution
Actually, it's easier than you think. Download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft, install it on your SSD. Since your machine already has an activated license of Windows 10, Windows 10 should automatically activate when you install.
or read up on cloning 10 and what may be found to work out the best

http://windowsreport.com/move-windows-10-ssd/

for what I been seeing is the free Acronis software you get with most drives really sucks at cloning 10 or just cant do it right ?

lots of info out there if you start to look also look into how to make it bootable through the clone that's the real trick

Nightsbane

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
thanks so much guys! I feel like an idiot now but I didn't realize that windows walks you through creating another boot device and finding your product key! So it wasn't so bad after all! Everything is working perfectly now, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.