[SOLVED] So I guess PSU can't be used for long time?

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
I see many people doesn't recommend old PSU like The S12II, Corsair CX series and some old PSU for newer GPU like RTX even though the wattage is more than enough (600w++)

So does you really need to change PSU for new gen CPU,GPU?

At first I think to buy a 650w PSU so I can use it for 5 years+ and don't need to replace it when I upgrade my PC.... But I guess that won't work?

Solution
It only really depends on the quality of the unit in question.
Those units were fine budget models when they were relatively new (CXm, not green label CX), but there are just better options in the same price range now.

You certainly can buy a decent unit now and use it for an upgrade later on down the line, my B2 unit is well over 4 years old and works great, no plans to replace it until it dies.
If it was a lower quality unit, I probably would start thinking about it as it comes near the end of its warranty.
It only really depends on the quality of the unit in question.
Those units were fine budget models when they were relatively new (CXm, not green label CX), but there are just better options in the same price range now.

You certainly can buy a decent unit now and use it for an upgrade later on down the line, my B2 unit is well over 4 years old and works great, no plans to replace it until it dies.
If it was a lower quality unit, I probably would start thinking about it as it comes near the end of its warranty.

Solution