So I have a laptop running windows 8. The computer was setup and only operated a few times. Now the problem, no idea what the

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heathbar

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015
So I have a laptop running windows 8. The computer was setup and only operated a few times. Now the problem, no idea what the password is and no access to the yahoo account linked to the microsoft account so there is now way to reset the password. How would I go about resetting/removing this password so the laptop can be used again. The laptop is a lenovo G510.

Hi

If you know how to start up the recovery partition you can re install windows from scratch . If you have the recovery DVD or USB disks you can re install from scratch

Or ask a Lenovo main dealer and take proof of ownership & identity with you

Regards
Mike Barnes

yremogtnom

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Let me try this again....

The problem with password questions is that we don't know if you're the owner of the device or account. So instead of helping you hack the machine, possibly giving someone a means to gain access to files they ought not to have access to, let's instead look at the Yahoo account.

Try going to Yahoo and resetting the password (https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN2047.html)
It gives three options...
- Alternate email address
- Mobile phone
- Security questions

Assuming you have access to (and set up) the email address or mobile phone to which the account was set up, those are the easiest.
The security questions, you'd have to remember the answers AND the case that you put them in. ("Mighty" is not the same as "mighty")

Once you regain access to the Yahoo account, reset the Microsoft
Once you reset the Microsoft, you can again access the laptop.

It's a roundabout way, but it's better (and more secure, and safer, ...) than hacking the machine, or resetting it (and losing anything you might have on it.)

Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.