So i have illegal OS on wich i upgraded to win10 pro...

MartinsD

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014
Like a week ago started to get pop up after every boot that my license ending soon and turns out i had a pirated OS...so all in all i ordered win10 home edition usb and wanted to ask: Will i be able tokeep everything as it is on my computer like i did an upgrade to win10 pro or if i reinstall to new OS ill have to do clean install and lose everything and will have to DL all the shiz i have installed?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Illegal Windows version always has something inside which is fishy.
Reformating the OS partition and installing the legit copy from scratch is the best option.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you should be able to keep any documents or music/photos you have now but generally, only safe approach is a clean install since you don't know what else it had in the pirate version. I would run an av scan on anything you decide to keep.

So dumb question, but why didn't you just spend then little extra and get Win 10 pro so you could just change the license key (on the current install) and go on? Don't get me wrong a clean install is always best, but if you are trying to avoid that, the difference may have been worth it.

MartinsD

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014

Its not a dumb question for likes of me, who has a first time experience with OS that keeps everything intact when you upgrade to. And around 60euro isnt little extra as i better spend that cash on a few steam games :) Even more, i always choose pro version if i can get it for free or with some discounts, but to pay full price for things ill never use in pro isnt good.

So thank you all for ansvers and ill do the clean install of the OS, as it will be easier to reinstall ~400gigs of games than phuck up legit OS if the illegal one has some nasties in it! Thank you!

That's a larger difference than over here. Although, it's still about $40 USD directly from Microsoft for the pro version, and that would be just to keep from re-installing, as most users make use of the pro features.

As for Steam, you won't need to re-install those if you backup your steam folder. Or at least not need to re-download all of it. You just point steam back to your steam library folder it will see the games and see them as installed. Remember not all games support "cloud saves" and not all your save games will be in the steam folder, they are scattered all over the windows drive.

I wrote a script that backs up my save games, and then restores them after a reinstall just because they are all over. Unfortunately I have to add each game individually, but once it's done, I don't have to worry about it anymore.