[SOLVED] So, I have this old computer...

Joseph_138

Distinguished
It's a Dell XPS 700. It was originally a Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz with a HD 5850. I changed the video card for a GTX 1050Ti and the CPU for a Core2Quad Extreme 2.93ghz. Now it seems to like randomly shutting off or rebooting itself. I'm thinking the CPU is more likely the issue since the GPU draws less power than the one that was originally in it. The Dell PSU that is in it is rated for 1000W, so it should be supplying enough power, unless it's completely worn out. Any ideas?

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
just because the PSU is rated for high wattage, doesn't mean it is giving good voltage.

You've got to look at your volts and temps.

could also be that one of you components is overheating for some reason.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
To go on a limb.

If you are in Windows and it's just random rebooting, but is able to be turned back on, I would check your paste/cooler application.

I am going to further assume that the proper drivers/BIOS/etc. are in place already.

EDIT- So it appears that the unit originally came with GeForce 7900 in SLI as an option. I have seen Gold rated Dell units and used them for budget builds over the years. Age aside, it's likely a good PSU.
I note that the only options were the Core2Quad and Core2Extreme as originally listed. It could be a motherboard power delivery issue, or other. I didn't go so deep as to look up the CPU/Chipset/Socket to cross reference against the mobo.

Last edited:
Yes, but only briefly with the quad core.
I understand this as "long enough with the motherboard, without any similar issues."
Do you still keep these two old components to try and experiment cross-combination for a long enough period (core2 duo+gtx, core2 extreme+radeon)? If s.th. else has been changed, too (ram, etc) also recombine.

Core2Quad Extreme 2.93ghz
So we are talking about QX6800, not for the X6800, which 'd work normally, but the quad-cores seem to need the 710/720 version, not the 700 of the motherboard.

Just see this (copy-paste) from dell: " 2 ground ref. lines were missing from the 700 PCB board but added to the 710 to make it quad compatiable. "
Check these, though not from the sites I usually use:
https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/XPS-700-Processor-Upgrade/td-p/3137827

Update bios to latest version, if not already, but with your current motherboard it mb 'll not work normally if it is just 700.
https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/XPS-700-BIOS-update/td-p/2471324
1.4.1 seems to be the latest version.

This GTX 1050 Ti version does not need a 6-pin connector...right?

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I understand this as "long enough with the motherboard, without any similar issues."
Do you still keep these two old components to try and experiment cross-combination for a long enough period (core2 duo+gtx, core2 extreme+radeon)? If s.th. else has been changed, too (ram, etc) also recombine.

So we are talking about QX6800, not for the X6800, which 'd work normally, but the quad-cores seem to need the 710/720 version, not the 700 of the motherboard.

Just see this (copy-paste) from dell: " 2 ground ref. lines were missing from the 700 PCB board but added to the 710 to make it quad compatiable. "
Check these, though not from the sites I usually use:
https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/XPS-700-Processor-Upgrade/td-p/3137827

Update bios to latest version, if not already, but with your current motherboard it mb 'll not work normally if it is just 700.
https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/XPS-700-BIOS-update/td-p/2471324
1.4.1 seems to be the latest version.

This GTX 1050 Ti version does not need a 6-pin connector...right?
If I'm going to do a motherboard swap, then I may as well swap it for a Dell 7040 motherboard, which I believe is also BTX, and get the benefit of DDR4 memory and a 6th or 7th gen Core i7 processor. The 7040 boards are also cheaper than the XPS 710/720 boards.

Some people in that thread you linked to said they have gotten Q6600, Q6700 and QX6800 processors working with the XPS 700 board, though.