So I inserted the ram the wrong way

Sahab_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
I understand that this mean the mother board is dead and also the ram is too but here is the thing I put the ram that was potentially fried into another build of mine and it showed the ram being there as I have 8 gb normally but once I inserted the ram it showed 12 as I inserted the 4 gb of ram that was what I thought fried, does this mean the ram is not fried and the mobo is ? And one more question does this affect the psu or is it just going to be the mobo and the ram

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
how TF y ou put the ram wrong way? it has physical cutting that is not symmetrical, it literally prevents you from inserting it wrong way unless you hammer it down into slot

Sahab_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

The bad thing is that the motherboard doesnt make a clicking noise once you insert it, its really hard to hear and i was just doing some testing but the thing that im finding weird is that the ram is working as am using it on this current pc right now but i smelt burning could it of been the mother board or the psu thats what i want to know

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from sahabumar70 : "So I inserted the ram in the wrong way..."

1.5v can still damage tiny components like those in a PC.

That said I wouldn't just assume because I inserted the ram wrong that it would damage the motherboard, he may well be fine, unless of course like you said, he did physical damage to the slot. In this case the chances are high that the RAM is fine, the motherboard I would imagine you can't put a Ram stick in the wrong way without doing some sort of damage to the slot.

Sahab_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

Well right now as i dont see any sign of the display coming up means that something is fried now the thing is im going to test the ram but i think its fine and yes i have tried installing another ram module but it doesnt seem to work, i have tried reseting cmos, even clearing out the ram and using the second slot. I want to know what is fried i think its the psu but then again i dont want to buy a wrong part for my second build so i need to know if its the mobo or the psu, as the burning smell was coming out my psu but my ram was plased incorrectly and its seems to be working. Pretty confusing, I want to get to the bottum of this any other ways you can help me check if its the psu or the mobo would be pretty useful ThankYou!

Sahab_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

So you think i will get away with the ram slot being fine? as i did put the ram the wrong way on the mobo but strangely it was the psu that smelt bad, i know this has been bad as i always run on power saving mode as it freezes on balanced or high. i really want it to be the psu because replacing the mobo is going to be harder.

Sahab_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

Sahab_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its not going to give a signal because its not plugged into the motherboard.

The point of this test was, does it still smell like burning?

Also assuming it is the PSU (which it probably is) that does NOT guarantee your motherboard is ok. a Bad PSU can take stuff with it. Its possible its ok, but without a good PSU there is NO way to tell.

Sahab_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

I do have another psu but its in my build this build that has a bad psu is my brothers but it all started from me putting in the ram the wrong way, i smelt burning so i immediately turned it off and realised why then i put the ram in correctly but oddly it was the psu that was smelling bad, do you have any idea why it was the psu i would of thought it to be the ram module but instead it heated up my psu. it would be really long for me to take the psu on my build out and test it is there any other way to see if the motherboard is fried as the cpu fan does spin my mouse sensor lights up

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There is no other way to tell.

You do know the ram is good.

The PSU smells like burning, not to be trusted. You need to REMOVE IT FROM THE CASE and do the test to make sure its what smells like burning, otherwise maybe the burn smell is your motherboard.

The motherboard needs to be tested with a known good PSU. There is NO other way to do this.

Sahab_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

Do you think the mouse being turned on by the mobo and the fan spinning is a good sign?
Also,
Could my ram not being fried mean the slot the ram was wrongly positioned in is fine?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Neither is a definitive sign. I've seen plenty of dead motherboards that will light up all day long and do nothing.

There is no way to know if its fine without properly testing it with known good parts. If there was an easier way to do this I would tell you. There is not.

Sahab_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

It literally is coming down to me putting the ram in the wrong position, I guess I have to do the long run and put my PSU that is in my build to test the mobo I'm going to hate the time I'm going to spend on it but it is worth it as I don't want to buy a wrong part thank you so much anyway really does help and explain a lot. What is confusing is why my ram is not fried as it started all of this but I guess you cant get the answers for everything at least its something I saved right? but thank you so much again. I'm going to update this soon as I will test it tomorrow.

Sahab_

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

Right!, as it is an LGA 1155 and Supports I3 4rth or 3rd Gen I'm not too worried on losing a lot of money but the parts are old so I'm not as angry as this PSU could only handle power saving in the power options menu it would freeze on high performance or balanced but that's another story. This is my little brothers build so I do have a pc working but I'm a bit sad that I have issued him as it wasn't his fault