Question So i made the switch to AMD...

Nov 13, 2019
So after being stuck with an old 4th gen intel, i finally decided to switch to AMD, as i heard many good things about the recent chips. My new setup includes:
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB
GPU: GTX 1080 ti
Botting windows off an SSD.

While the increase in performance was great, upon installing the new motherboard and CPU, i came across one weird issue:

The computer never boots up on the first try. Well, it does boot up, but only gets to the Mobo splash screen, and after that, keeps running, but with no display whatsoever. When i press reset, or turn it off and give it a few seconds, it boots up normally and gets to windows as it should. But if i leave it off for a while longer, the first boot attempt always fails. Any idea what could be causing this issue? My monitor is plugged into the graphics card (which worked perfect on an intel board). Could it be a Windows issue or is my Mobo having issues with my graphics card? Any hints would be appreciated :)

Nov 13, 2019
The PSU is a SeasonicFocus Gold, 1000w so it has more than enough power for the system i think. And yeah the boot priority is correct. As to the Windows install, i didn't clean install it. When i put in the new Mobo and booted from the old drive, Windows went through a "detecting devices" or somethign loading screen, and then everything functioned fine. Was actually surprised by that. Should i have done a clean install regardless?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes, I would strongly advise doing a clean install. Windows, still, isn't quite smart enough to clean itself up thoroughly with using the previous install by simply transferring a drive from one PC to the next.

There will be leftover files, drivers, registry entries, etc. May not be a problem immediately, but strange behaviors and malfunctions will tend to pop up.

Doing a clean install of Windows will save you a lot of headaches.

Depends how far it gets. If it's past the BIOS load and onto the OS, it could be something hanging around from your old install. If it's still at the BIOS loading devices, it could be configuration. But with UEFI that can be hard to tell. As others are hinting at, a fresh install of Windows is the way to go here.

Nov 13, 2019
Yeah i guess i was a bit too hopeful that i wouldn't have to reinstall everything, seeing as after the system actually boots up, everything works without a hiccup. But i suppose apart from being an inconveniece, the clean install should at least rule out if it's a Windows issue or not. Thanks for the advice :)

Reactions: King_V
Nov 13, 2019
Okay so i installed a fresh copy of Windows and the issue persists :/ What i did notice though, is that on a successful boot, the red lights on the motherboard cycle through all of them once. CPU, then DRAM, VGA, then BOOT. All light up for about a second each, and then windows starts up fine. On the first, always unsuccessful boot on the other hand, the CPU light stays lit for a few seconds, windows loading screen appears for a second, and then nothing. Blank screen, but everything else is running. Hard drive activity LED is active the whole time too btw, so somethign is going on, but no video output. Makes me think this might be a CPU or motherboard issue? Would hate for that to be the case, since i just got them both brand new, and i don't really have any spare AMD parts to experiment with :/

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ugh, that is odd. . . not sure where to go with that. If the motherboard is right, then it seems like it's a bad CPU. But if the motherboard is hosed, then you probably can't rely on the diagnostic red lights.

Some part of me also wonders if it might be a RAM issue. Have you tried starting it with no drive attached? It should at least start up every time and get to the point where it complains about a lack of boot drive.

Nov 13, 2019
So at this point, are you still at the first boot every time, or is it down to sporadic cold boots?

Also, make sure you have installed all drivers from here:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX#down-driver&Win10 64
Yeah installed all the drivers, and yes, at this point, EVERY cold boot fails. Gets past POST, but goes blank after the windows loading spinning circle thing. Any follow up boot, as long as it takes place within a few minutes, is always successfull. Guess i'll try messing around with ram or the hard drives...

Nov 13, 2019
Ha! Okay i did a TON of digging on forums and found out what the issue was. Turns out, Windows 10 has fast its own fast boot enabled deep in the settings by default, and that can cause issues with certain hardware.

Basically, on a cold start, Windows tries to load itself faster than the drives actually power up, causing it to just fail after the first attempt. Not an issue on a warm start, since the hardware has already been initialised. Turning that stupid option off gives the hardware the the required time to actually start up on a cold start, even though it only extend the start time by about a second.

This is by far the stranges issue i've had, but i guess it's fixed now. Thank you for the suggestions guys, couldn't have done it without you 😅

TRENDING THREADS