[SOLVED] So I moved a 3TB harddrive

Jul 1, 2020
So I moved a 3TB harddrive from a network video recorder into a server, but seem to be having issues reformatting and creating a partition on it.

If I use Win 10 Disk management, it shows a Disk as online with 2048gb unallocated and 746gb as unallocated, with no drive letter.

If I right click on the 2048 disk, it allows me to setup a new simple volume and drive letter. But the 746gb side i can't do anything with (right click only has "properties" as the option).

Solution
So I moved a 3TB harddrive from a network video recorder into a server, but seem to be having issues reformatting and creating a partition on it.

If I use Win 10 Disk management, it shows a Disk as online with 2048gb unallocated and 746gb as unallocated, with no drive letter.

If I right click on the 2048 disk, it allows me to setup a new simple volume and drive letter. But the 746gb side i can't do anything with (right click only has "properties" as the option).
You need to make it a GPT drive, not MBR.
I would run diskpart in an elevated command prompt (right click run as admin), and then type:
list disk
select disk n (where n is the 3TB disk showing ~ 2.2. TB)
clean (the quick one not clean all)
convert gpt
exit

Then go to...

RealBeast

Titan

You need to make it a GPT drive, not MBR.
I would run diskpart in an elevated command prompt (right click run as admin), and then type:
list disk
select disk n (where n is the 3TB disk showing ~ 2.2. TB)
clean (the quick one not clean all)
convert gpt
exit

Then go to disk management and format it NTFS to get your full disk.
NOTE: all data will be lost on the drive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS