[SOLVED] So I need some second opinions on my AIO setup with RTX 3080ti hybrid pls

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
So I managed to get a RTX 3080ti XC3 hybrid from EVGA in their queue program, however I have a Fractal Define R4 computer case and everything seems a bit snug after I added the radiator AIO on the top of the case, though I'm not sure its ok, its really close to the CPU cooler I use, The picture Im showing shows exactly what I mean, I shared it with a few people and they said its fine because the radiator and fans will pull heat outward to the radiator and the fans blow it out, my concern is will a fan being that close to the CPU cooler cause issues? I do plan on getting another PC case in the next couple of months, but Id hate for my card to burn out over something like this, honestly Ive never had AIO cooling before so this is all new to me.Picture here of my setup

Solution
Um my CPU cores are going between 43 °C - 55°C , and they can spike to 76°C which is currently on my Max history, using HWMonitor to check temps, my GPU right now when gaming is between 48°C - 50°C , I do plan on getting a PC case upgrade in the near future, Im guessing "Mainboard" temps are my motherboard temps? they are at 30°C
You seem to be alright... But i would highly highly recommend getting the hwmonitor app that also tells you the vrm temps not just the gpu temp because that normally just goes off of the gpu core temp doesnt tell you what the vrms are at thats been EVERYONES issues basically with the 30xx series the way the vrms are on the cards they just fry like butter on a peace of toast hitting the pan on high heat
So I managed to get a RTX 3080ti XC3 hybrid from EVGA in their queue program, however I have a Fractal Define R4 computer case and everything seems a bit snug after I added the radiator AIO on the top of the case, though I'm not sure its ok, its really close to the CPU cooler I use, The picture Im showing shows exactly what I mean, I shared it with a few people and they said its fine because the radiator and fans will pull heat outward to the radiator and the fans blow it out, my concern is will a fan being that close to the CPU cooler cause issues? I do plan on getting another PC case in the next couple of months, but Id hate for my card to burn out over something like this, honestly Ive never had AIO cooling before so this is all new to me.Picture here of my setup
You are fine thats almost the exact same way i have mine the issue you will want to focus on and KEEP A COLSE EYE ON is you VRM temps the get higher then 95c you need to find a new solution for cooling them

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
I’d be more concerned by the lack of airflow into the case. Apart from that it looks ok. What are the cpu and gpu temperatures when gaming?

Um my CPU cores are going between 43 °C - 55°C , and they can spike to 76°C which is currently on my Max history, using HWMonitor to check temps, my GPU right now when gaming is between 48°C - 50°C , I do plan on getting a PC case upgrade in the near future, Im guessing "Mainboard" temps are my motherboard temps? they are at 30°C

Reactions: white.a.drew
You seem to be alright... But i would highly highly recommend getting the hwmonitor app that also tells you the vrm temps not just the gpu temp because that normally just goes off of the gpu core temp doesnt tell you what the vrms are at thats been EVERYONES issues basically with the 30xx series the way the vrms are on the cards they just fry like butter on a peace of toast hitting the pan on high heat

Solution

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016

Ok so I actually downloading HWiNFO64 and looking at my motherboard Asus Prime Z370-A, its saying 30°C , here is a screen of the info View: https://imgur.com/a/qsyJ7JF
you might make better sense of it then me, or anyone else that might know, currently Im playing a game while doing this

The clearance between your AIO and CPU cooler isn't a concern in my mind. The proximity isn't going to reduce the effectiveness of either one in a meaningful way and both your CPU and GPU temperatures are solid.

If it were me, I would improve airflow in your tower by putting another intake fan between your PSU and your stack of HDDs. That'll blow cool air directly up at your GPU VRMs to help keep them cool.

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
The clearance between your AIO and CPU cooler isn't a concern in my mind. The proximity isn't going to reduce the effectiveness of either one in a meaningful way and both your CPU and GPU temperatures are solid.

If it were me, I would improve airflow in your tower by putting another intake fan between your PSU and your stack of HDDs. That'll blow cool air directly up at your GPU VRMs to help keep them cool.

ye I plan on actually getting a full tower soon, I just wanted to make sure that I won't fry anything before I get it

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Your temps are fine, the picture in your original post shows nothing untoward. You literally have nothing to worry about.

Yes, the radiator is quite close to the CPU cooler, and the CPU cooler is quite close to the back of the graphics card, but neither of those facts are a problem, and I've seen much smaller gaps in machines that have lasted years without issue. There is so much airflow in that PC from all those case fans plus the radiator fans, that your slightly tight clearances really don't matter at all.

The case is small, and you could use a slightly larger one. But a Full Tower is definitely overkill. Go for something a bit more normal like a Corsair 4000D or NZXT H510. Much bigger than your current case but not a ridiculous giant like a full tower.

which one is the VRMS?
Your temps are fine, the picture in your original post shows nothing untoward. You literally have nothing to worry about.

Yes, the radiator is quite close to the CPU cooler, and the CPU cooler is quite close to the back of the graphics card, but neither of those facts are a problem, and I've seen much smaller gaps in machines that have lasted years without issue. There is so much airflow in that PC from all those case fans plus the radiator fans, that your slightly tight clearances really don't matter at all.

The case is small, and you could use a slightly larger one. But a Full Tower is definitely overkill. Go for something a bit more normal like a Corsair 4000D or NZXT H510. Much bigger than your current case but not a ridiculous giant like a full tower.
Lol this fool now following me around like a lost puppet without it's master hehehe...going to comment on all the forums i have now :) the factor that 3 other people have already responded to this forum and basically solved it now he has to comment.... Again just focus on the vrm temps these cards are known for frying them.

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
Lol this fool now following me around like a lost puppet without it's master hehehe...going to comment on all the forums i have now :) the factor that 3 other people have already responded to this forum and basically solved it now he has to comment.... Again just focus on the vrm temps these cards are known for frying them.

Can do, thanks for the help, just checking but how long should I monitor the VRM temps for? a week when Im gaming or a few days? And if the temps get higher than 92c then what should be my course of action? this is new to me but I am a bit worried that my temps were sitting at 78c , Im only 14 degrees off the point where you said I should be worried :/

Can do, thanks for the help, just checking but how long should I monitor the VRM temps for? a week when Im gaming or a few days? And if the temps get higher than 92c then what should be my course of action? this is new to me but I am a bit worried that my temps were sitting at 78c , Im only 14 degrees off the point where you said I should be worried :/
I would just leave hwmonitor open in the background 24/7 well using the pc if at any point the vrms hit higher then 92c then thats the point where i would do what your talking about get a little bit bigger of a case and a lot more airflow going through the pc..... However with the liquid cooler you have on it as im looking at it it appears to have a spot over the vrms to keep them cool as well.

DanT33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
I would just leave hwmonitor open in the background 24/7 well using the pc if at any point the vrms hit higher then 92c then thats the point where i would do what your talking about get a little bit bigger of a case and a lot more airflow going through the pc..... However with the liquid cooler you have on it as im looking at it it appears to have a spot over the vrms to keep them cool as well.

kk well Im actually gonna be ordering a new tower tomorrow, https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7-xl/black/ I had planned to upgrade each of my PC parts and basically create a second PC to sell, that one will have my RTX 2080 inside it, then later on I will upgrade my CPU and motherboard, as of right now I have an i5 8600k and getting a 15% bottleneck with my new GPU, anyway this all was super helpful, thanks again!

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
kk well Im actually gonna be ordering a new tower tomorrow, https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7-xl/black/ I had planned to upgrade each of my PC parts and basically create a second PC to sell, that one will have my RTX 2080 inside it, then later on I will upgrade my CPU and motherboard, as of right now I have an i5 8600k and getting a 15% bottleneck with my new GPU, anyway this all was super helpful, thanks again!
Dont build a new PC to sell. Just sell each part you have individually on eBay.

its a little more work having to package up every part individually and ship it, but you get a hell of a lot more for your old parts that way, especially your GPU right now.

A used RTX2080 during the chip shortage we are currently experiencing, is worth a lot more on its own than in a PC.

I get around 30-50% more this way than selling a complete system. Plus you don’t have to buy any parts for the old system just to sell again, which you will certainly lose money on.

Dont build a new PC to sell. Just sell each part you have individually on eBay.

its a little more work having to package up every part individually and ship it, but you get a hell of a lot more for your old parts that way, especially your GPU right now.

A used RTX2080 during the chip shortage we are currently experiencing, is worth a lot more on its own than in a PC.

I get around 30-50% more this way than selling a complete system. Plus you don’t have to buy any parts for the old system just to sell again, which you will certainly lose money on.
I actually can agree with you on this one
Hate port access through phone to pc annoying android keyboard

Last edited: