[SOLVED] so i overclocked my cpu thanks to some really helpful people on this fourm but now the issue tempreture

kileob

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
i can run 1.3 v and 4.5GHz but can I possibly go to 1.2v and do the same thing is that safe or will I be taking some kind of loss 2.5v maybe?

while at 4.5GHz 100% stress test temps were 60-75 usually that's not that hot but like I don't like it so that's why im asking if I could tone down the voltage so I can use this OC 24/7 but when the stress test wasn't on my temp was about a consistent 40 so that seems good right?

Solution
Stress tests like p95 create absolute worst case scenarios. Literally that's the max temp it could ever reach. With gaming, temps will only get to @ 70% of that usually. So you are looking at gaming temps of @ 55°ish. That's normal, perfectly acceptable and the cpu couldn't care less.

A cpu only has 2 ranges. Operating range and Throttle range. Temps are only ever in 1 of the 2. To a cpu 30°C is exactly no different to 80°C, it's still in operating range.

And no, 1.3v to 1.2v is a sizable difference to a cpu, pretty certain you create instability and crash. When dropping vcore it should be done in 0.005v increments, not 0.1v. You'll also have to take into consideration alternate voltages like system agent, PLL, VID, LLC, and other...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stress tests like p95 create absolute worst case scenarios. Literally that's the max temp it could ever reach. With gaming, temps will only get to @ 70% of that usually. So you are looking at gaming temps of @ 55°ish. That's normal, perfectly acceptable and the cpu couldn't care less.

A cpu only has 2 ranges. Operating range and Throttle range. Temps are only ever in 1 of the 2. To a cpu 30°C is exactly no different to 80°C, it's still in operating range.

And no, 1.3v to 1.2v is a sizable difference to a cpu, pretty certain you create instability and crash. When dropping vcore it should be done in 0.005v increments, not 0.1v. You'll also have to take into consideration alternate voltages like system agent, PLL, VID, LLC, and other factors that may or may not need adjusting in your attempts.

Solution
A CPU only has the throttling range if it is unfortunate enough to be placed in a MacBook. :)

Your 70c is actually very good for an overclock. Keep in mind the CPU will technically turbo to 4.6ghz 1 thread out of the box so 4.5ghz isn't really an extreme overclock. I bet you could turn the voltage down a bit because of this.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-9600k-coffee-lake-cpu,5922-2.html Tom's Hardware got the 9600k to 5.0ghz.
As Karadjgne said, in gaming, your CPU runs much cooler than in P95, especially if you're GPU bound.
I would either just accept that 70c is perfectly normal or lower the voltage slowly making sure the overclock is stable.
Higher end systems with a non-K CPU and the stock cooler will run much hotter than this.

As others have said. Prime95 temps are unrealistically high (especially since it tests AVX, which hardly any programs use). Check your CPU temps again, this time while playing your favorite game.

That said, you should still try to find the lowest voltage that will keep your OC stable. Not only does that keep temps @ a minimum, but it will also aid in prolonging the life of the CPU.