So I Think I May Have a Virus

Shadowwrath5

Honorable
May 31, 2013
So hello all I was looking around on my computer doing some summer cleaning and I have 6,585 error messages in my administrative events. Further more I have many of my services stopped when they should be running. How can I fix all this myself without bringing it to get serviced?
Also I am using malwarebytes and microsoft security essentials together for antivirus. Is this reliable enough? If not what should I use? Thank you!

Malware bytes is fine. Mse scored the lowest on anti virus protection. Use a nortons or other free rescue Iso. Make a bootable cd or USB stick and run it. If your system is clean. Run hdtune read your Hard drive for any failures. Make a bootable memtest86 disk and check your ram. Check your mb bios for any updates. Last issue could be a bad or weak power supply. Can you post up your pc specs.

SNA3

Honorable

For Free Anti Virus , your best choice is AVG then Avast.

you can copy your data to another disk , and then format and reinstall every thing ..

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
Be careful about poking around in the Event Viewer. Some really really bad things can happen because you are just chasing ghosts sometimes. Look at the days and times that the event occurred. Take the codes and put them into google if you want to see what they are.

Remember that you (had?) a power supply problem so that could have triggered some of those.

Which services are you talking about?

I'm a Norton user as well.

Shadowwrath5

Honorable
May 31, 2013
Well my load time for windows takes forever for one. On my trackpad I cant use the 2 finger scroll unless I open up the mouse settings then close it. And your right about administrative events being dangerous because I had it open not doing anything in the background while I was playing a game and it crashed all my programs and explore exe. I defiantly have something on my laptop. Ill run those programs and post back.

Shadowwrath5

Honorable
May 31, 2013
For Free Anti Virus , your best choice is AVG then Avast.

Using them together? or is that just first best avg and second best is avast?

Last issue could be a bad or weak power supply. Can you post up your pc specs.

Yeah my power supply is shot. I only get like 5 minutes off the charger but how much does that actually effect?
its the hp pavillion dv6: i3 core, 8gb ram, 500gb hdd

SNA3

Honorable

AVG and Avast took the same scores for Free Anti Virus .. pick the one you like more.

Shadowwrath5

Honorable
May 31, 2013
So I ran all those programs and installed avast on my pc and laptop. I still have ungodly amounts of errors in the log and my laptop still crashes every now and then (I do think, however, its due to overheating and the pc just shuts down). So what next to clean everything up?