So I want to build a new computer for less then $500 USD

I have a video card an AMD 7870 which will do for now. I do not need a keyboard, mouse, monitor or OS - I'll probably use some variant of Debian Linux and will dual boot a Windows Insider build on Windows 10. Normally I answer these type questions but I wanted to see what creative designs some of you could come up with.

I may play some games on it but not to often. I'll also be web browsing, some programming with Visual Studio (small projects), browsing the internet, some light office program work using LibreOffice, streaming video such as Youtube, Netflix, NBC and CBS All Access.

I do know I want a quad core CPU if possible with this budget. I may begin purchasing parts tonight or tomorrow.

BTW - I'm ok with purchasing parts from multiple online sources and I have a Micro Center nearby.

Solution
If you are wise you will drop that power supply like a bad habit. It's your system, but power supplies are not a good place to skimp. If that power supply goes out it can take out your entire system.

I've fried a motherboard before due to a cheap power supply. It may be ok, but you only saved like 20 bucks. But it's your system.

If you upgrade the video card ever, I would recommend to replace the power supply at the same time.

Edit, I see you are going to use a 7970, so if you can, definitely cancel the power supply and swap it for something better. Otherwise, hopefully they've improved those units since the last time I used one of them.

For future reference, to bad you ordered the CPU/board online. Microcenter usually gives...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
This would be right at it quad core i3 8100 you would need to use your old hard drive for extra storage.

Newegg combo on the board and processor.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3738329

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.94 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.41 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series AF120 White 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan ($12.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $293.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-19 07:57 EST-0500

ohenryy

Honorable
Or this, 16Gb system memory.
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P37cCb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P37cCb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($86.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Silicon Power - Slim S55 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Raidmax - Viper II ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.84 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - VS 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $489.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-20 05:05 EST-0500

So I ended up building this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r8KcfH

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($188.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston - FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($101.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Thermaltake - TR2 600W ATX Power Supply ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $506.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-24 22:01 EST-0500

My friend is letting me borrow his ASUS 27" 1080p 144Hz monitor and a AMD 7900 Video Card with 3GB RAM

If you are wise you will drop that power supply like a bad habit. It's your system, but power supplies are not a good place to skimp. If that power supply goes out it can take out your entire system.

I've fried a motherboard before due to a cheap power supply. It may be ok, but you only saved like 20 bucks. But it's your system.

If you upgrade the video card ever, I would recommend to replace the power supply at the same time.

Edit, I see you are going to use a 7970, so if you can, definitely cancel the power supply and swap it for something better. Otherwise, hopefully they've improved those units since the last time I used one of them.

For future reference, to bad you ordered the CPU/board online. Microcenter usually gives I think 30 bucks off the board when you buy a CPU from them.

Solution
Yeah I ended up buying it all at Microcenter, which is why I ended up with this particular power supply. I plan to aggressively update the lesser parts as funds become available. I'm using core temp to track the temps of the CPU, but I'm not sure I am getting accurate results. Can any of you recommend a more accurate temperature monitor.