So I'm building my first PC and I want to know what you guys think

May 5, 2018
Edit: so admittedly I went overbudget with this, so I'm gonna make some changes. I've got a budget of aprox. 1000 U$S, but keep in mind components here cost x1.6 more than outside, because of custom taxes and reseller added price.
I'm mostly wanna use this PC to play the latest games in 1080p@60hz on ultra (if possible), don't really care about other stuff besides amateur programming and game development maybe

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H (supposedly it has an x370 chipset so I don't know why it's called that way). I don't plan on doing any kind of OC in the near future so I could go with an A320, but I think it's nice to have the option to do it if I ever need it.

CPU: [strike]I'd like to get a ryzen 5 2600, but I'm worried about its stock cooler which is worse than the 1600, besides, there's not a lot of difference between the 2 processors , should I just get a 1600 and use that money somewhere else? (best case scenario would be to get a 2600x I guess but it's too expensive here)[/strike] Maybe a Ryzen 5 1400? Would it make a lot of a difference from the 1600?

GPU:[strike] I was planning on getting the gigabyte gtx 1060 6gb windforce, but I think it's out of stock in the place where I was gonna buy it, they have an ASUS dual 1060 6gb though, is there any difference between those brands? I'd like to get a card with dual fans.
[/strike] I guess a 1050ti (Zotac) is much of a downgrade but I don't want to go overbudget.

RAM: I'm gonna get the cheapest 2x8gb 2400mhz I can find (of a known brand of course). I know ryzen goes best with 3000mhz but those are WAY too expensive here.

Storage: HDD WD 1TB Caviar Blue (cheapest I could find, again, SSD's are a no go in this country -I'm from Argentina by the way-). I can now possibly get a cheap 120gb SSD besides the HDD, would it be enough?

PSU: I'll try to get a Seasonic S12II 520w, but if I can't would a EVGA 600B or a XFX XT 600w (bronze) suffice?

I may be able to adjust the budget to either get a 1400 + 1060 or 1600 + 1050ti combo.

So what do you guys think? Is it a good build? Anyone willing to help me decide

WiiUMasterGman

Reputable
May 11, 2016
You will need to update the BIOS unless your motherboard can boot with no CPU. I also think off the top of my head the ASUS Dual boosts higher then the Windforce edition. Both are good brands nonetheless. Other then that you are going to put together a beastly computer

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
That will be a great system. I don't know how much of a difference in the cost of the 1600 and 2600 is, but if its enough of a difference to get better ram or an SSD it may be worth a thought. The 2600 is a slight improvement over the 1600, but not enough that most users would notice. Good luck on your choices

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

if you dont plan on overclocking then you would be WAY better served by an i5 8400 build doubly so because you cant get 3000+ ram

the i5 setup will just be superior

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
That setup is very nice. The difference between Ryzen 5 1600 and 2600 is not huge, but it definitely is there. you will also need a BIOS upgrade on that motherboard before using a 2600 so just to prevent all that hassle i would just go with a 1600 and judging by your post, i think you don't know a crap ton about computers.

As for the Graphics Card, get the cheapest one. All different brands have no real performance difference. The only difference would be aesthetics, fan design and number of fans. If there is one fan rather than two, it might run like 2-5°C hotter. Get the cheapest one and overclock it. It will outperform most if not all of the expensive models of the same card.

Be sure to try to read some memory overclocking guides online and overclock your memory to ATLEAST 2666MHz. Don't be afraid of overclocking, it wont cause any damage. All the components have a built in failsafe that prevent damage.

Also, an SSD is highly recommended. Use the saved money from the Ryzen 5 1600 and the GPU and spend it into an SSD. Im sure you can make it fit into your budget. Even something like a Kingston A400 120GB would be really nice.

May 5, 2018
Edited the original post because of budget reasons

That's not an issue, the store will do that themselves (already asked)

Updated post with correct budget so maybe now I can get a cheap albeit small SSD

I know i5 is better for gaming, but I'm leaning more on the ryzen just because of future proofing, but maybe I'm wrong.

I updated the OP with new stuff, would you mind checking it and sharing your thoughts?

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
The 120gb SSD would be good if you are only putting your OS on it because putting games on it would cause it to fill up fast, but if you are simply putting the OS on it and some personal pics/files then it would be a nice addition.

Instead of the 1400 you might want to consider the 2400g. I know it is an APU, but it has better performance vs the 1400 and falls between the 1400 and 1600 price and performance wise. Although if you get the 1400 and it lets you get the 1060 6gb then I would go that route personally.

If you can swing the 1060 it will give you much better performance over the 1050ti and you will be happy with the performance for a longer period of time.

One last thing, if you are able, when Ryzen 2 launches, you could upgrade the cpu down the road and keep the same board.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

it is better now, and in perpituity

the ryzen will not magically get better at gaming if a couple of years pass by

learn the lessons of the 8350

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
Comparing the 8350 to the Ryzen series is like apple and oranges. The 8350 was a flop from the launch and did not force Intel to make any changes to their product outside of what they had planned. Ryzen is a solid chip, and yes it does not have the same IPC has Intel, but still a close second in gaming. Ryzen also caused intel to start offering more cores than previous models. Also AMD is supporting the AM4 socket until 2020 which would allow a cheaper cpu upgrade in the future.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

this is child think

in no way did ryzen affect coffee lake as it was in development well before amd's release

the next gen from intel will be their answer

2020 is ONLY 2 years XD

if you bought an i5 8600k or i7 8700k it will last WELL over 5 years

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
I am not sure what you meant by your comment "this is child think", but if it was meant as an insult then that was a childish comment in itself. I am not going to get into an debate with you about this. What I stated has been well documented and yes I know that 2020 is 2 years away, but it still allows someone to buy one board for 3 versions of a chip and that is not something Intel is known for. As for the 8600k or 8700k that would be a fine choice if they were within the original posters budget.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

no, in fact intel were planning to release 6 and 8 core cpu's in early 2016 but where delayed due to production issues

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
First, nice attitude. I expect better on these forums, but you cannot account for the few that ruin it for the many. You brought it down to a "childish level" by acting like a child. I am done. Keep thinking you are the master of the forums and I will enjoy reality.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

only children think in such terms

adults have back and forth conversations without getting butthurt

The adult responce would have been to rebuff my statement:

"in no way did ryzen affect coffee lake as it was in development well before amd's release"

point directly to where I imply I am the master of the forums?

TRENDING THREADS