Question So is delidding really worth it? Don't think so. (Commentary on Tom's Hardware Article)

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Today Tom's ran an article about delidding:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-delid-your-processor,38720.html

Delidding is something that became nouveau mode around 2012. At that time, pretty much everyone and their little sister at Overclock.net grabbed hammers, vices and furiously hacked at their CPU's to delid them.

At the time I just laughed at them.

It's 2019 and I still do. My 4770k overclocked to 4.5 GHz at 1.28V (1.30 with adaptive) hits around 63 C max at full gaming load on a Thermaltake Frio OCK air-cooler.

I have hit the voltage limit, which is 1.30V for OC'd Haswells, before I hit the temperature limit.

Clearly delidding was simply a waste of my time and potentially even dangerous.

There's something else I was thinking. There are ppl who do the delidding for you on ebay for a nominal fee. There's nothing stopping that person who does the delidding from testing your delided sample and then swapping your CPU, if golden sample, with a half-donkey one by switching the IHS.

They get to keep the Golden Sample which they ebay and you get back a delidded but dud CPU.

So nahhhh, I think I'm gonna pass, Tom's Hardware.

Sep 19, 2018
I had a great experience with it and would recommend it 100% in certain situations. People who are afraid of doing it make me laugh, it's very simple. Buy a delidding tool for 10$ use tape around the die and apply a very small amount of liquid metal and boom you're done. Not sure how someone's would fail after a few months after a delid unless someone put way too much liquid metal on the die and it dripped all over or something. Brought my 4690k from 80c to 60c on max load which allowed me to further overclock it.