[SOLVED] So is PSU the issue? Wanna know before I shell out the cash.

Oct 21, 2021
Classic issue I suppose - clicking (metronome/click/whatever) noise and boom, reboots. Sometimes reboots and lasts for hours no issue, even days, but lately has gotten worse. Being under load appears to make no difference - ran a game earlier for at least close to an hour and was fine. Closed the game out and went to go watch a YT video, hits, and I lay down. Computer clicks again while it’s just sitting there idle, but this time it’s followed by a second, louder click and screen remains black, nothing responsive, but the power light to the PC was on.

Checked for damage, didn’t seem like anything was damaged as far as my very untrained eye could tell, so I flipped the power switch and it booted back on just fine. Have it off right now however.

Note I’ve also done a Chkdsk scan and a windows memory diagnostic run. Chkdsk scan found nothing on the SSD i actually boot from, and it said it “made corrections” when I ran it on my HDD but no bad sectors found anywhere. Reboots were really occasional and just seemed to be triggered by absolutely nothing sometimes. It’d reboot while I was watching a video, and then reboot one or two times again after that the moment it got back into desktop basically, and then be fine for hours and hours lol.

What, uh. What’s going on here and how concerned should I be beyond a power supply?

Solution
What is your cpu and gpu?
Usually the gpu dictates the power you need.

The only way to test for a psu problem is to borrow a known good psu of sufficient power.
If you can't do this, buy a replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Expect to pay a 15% restocking fee.
Look for a psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Hello spookylex. After reading your description, I believe the power supply is the most likely culprit. Your Enermax Revo Duo 700w comes with a three year warranty, I would recommend that you submit a warranty claim (RMA). Once approved then ask them if they offer Advanced RMA's, meaning that you can receive a replacement before sending them your old power supply back. If they do offer this, then they undoubtedly will request your credit card number, so that they can place a hold for the replacement cost, in case you neglect to send it back in time. If they don't offer advanced RMA, then I would either borrow a power supply from a friend, if possible or buy a new power supply in order to troubleshoot this issue. By the way, even if you do end up buying a new power supply, I would still submit the old one for RMA, if I were you. It's always good to have backups.

What is your cpu and gpu?
Usually the gpu dictates the power you need.

The only way to test for a psu problem is to borrow a known good psu of sufficient power.
If you can't do this, buy a replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Expect to pay a 15% restocking fee.
Look for a psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

Solution