Question So is there any way of actually disabling automatic driver updates ?

Jun 6, 2022
Ryzen 5 5600G, Vega 7 (iGPU), currently I've resorted to using wushowhide to stop that one annoying driver update. I'm using the WHQL recommend AMD adrenalin driver and windows would update it to a newer driver or older in case I had the new driver. So I used amd cleanup utility, uninstalled the driver, reinstalled the WHQL driver and used wushowhide to put it on a halt. It works perfectly, but I don't really wanna repeat this process everytime windows adds a new driver on their windows update cause AMD software is much more up to date. What can I do to prevent windows from auto installing drivers?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I feel your pain. I use a Ryzen powered laptop at work and actually had sort of an opposite to the issue you are having. After installing the Adrenalin software the machines graphics would go haywire, green screen a great deal and constantly hassle me about non-existent updates or prompt me just to fail during the process. In my own case I suspect it is (at least in part) due to the laptops native screen not being present due to damage.

I opted to go the other way and uninstall all the auto-AMD updating and allow Windows to use the older signed drivers.

I am not actually sure that you can still prompt Windows to notify you of pending updates and allow you to choose what you want installed and hide others.

Ryzen 5 5600G, Vega 7 (iGPU), currently I've resorted to using wushowhide to stop that one annoying driver update. I'm using the WHQL recommend AMD adrenalin driver and windows would update it to a newer driver or older in case I had the new driver. So I used amd cleanup utility, uninstalled the driver, reinstalled the WHQL driver and used wushowhide to put it on a halt. It works perfectly, but I don't really wanna repeat this process everytime windows adds a new driver on their windows update cause AMD software is much more up to date. What can I do to prevent windows from auto installing drivers?
A test.
In the search box type ......advanced.
Select hardware.
Device installation.
Select ......no.

D

Deleted member 14196

Use WUB. windows update blocker. Then you can enable it when you want updates and disable it again after you’re done

I also use it on all my virtual machines because I can’t have them updating when I’m trying to test

Enable it on my main box once a month. I have had zero issues in several years doing so and I’ll never go back to leaving it on all the time Microsoft can suck it

I would also recommend completely disabling WMI because that is one huge resource hog that you don’t need if you’re not in a corporate environment and being managed

Also make sure to disable all their stupid performance metrics. On reboot am now under one gigabyte of RAM used and fully loaded up with work apps I’m only using four gig of RAM what does does leaves me much more ram to run virtual machines

Last edited by a moderator: