[SOLVED] So, I've been considering an SSD.

dirkrgriebel54

Prominent
Mar 21, 2018
The only problem is I don't know how to just move the os and not anything else to it. I just want to move the os and nothing else. I'm using Windows 10.

Are there any tools that would allow me to do that? I clean windows 10 files myself and all of the things I've downloaded and changed would take too long if I do a clean install.

Solution
From EaseUS:
"It's worth emphasizing that you should make sure the capacity of the SSD is larger than the used space on the system and boot partition(s). "

Entire partition.

"When you use the "Migrate OS" feature, EaseUS Partition Master will clone all the content on the system and boot partition(s). Thus, if you have installed programs or saved files on these partitions, they will also be copied to the SSD. "

'...all the content on the system and boot partition(s)'

It does not and cannot parse out 'only the OS'.
Unless of course, you were proactive in setting it up, and had different partitions for. One for the OS and one or more for other stuff.

USAFRet

Titan
First off...no, you cannot move "just move the os and not anything else".
There is no function or application to do that.

Second, that would be wasting half the functionality of the fast drive.

How much space is consumed on your current C drive or partition?

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Yes many manufacturers include disk cloning software with a new SSD to do this.

I bought a Samsung SSD and used the included cloning software to move Windows from my old SSD to the new one and it worked perfectly.

Andy

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To reiterate - yes you can easily clone the OS to a new SSD.
I cloned just the OS onto my new SSD and it works perfectly.
Either by using the manufacturer's software included or software such as EaseUS -

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/copy-os-to-ssd.html
This (if it works at all) would create a completely borked Windows install as all previously installed apps would be missing afterward. The orphans and dead-ends in the registry would be a disaster. Windows would be dazed and confused, at best.

This is not recommended.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
This (if it works at all) would create a completely borked Windows install as all previously installed apps would be missing afterward. The orphans and dead-ends in the registry would be a disaster. Windows would be dazed and confused, at best.

This is not recommended.

Well I can assure you it works perfectly fine - no dead ends/missing apps or registry errors.

USAFRet

Titan
To reiterate - yes you can easily clone the OS to a new SSD.
I cloned just the OS onto my new SSD and it works perfectly.
Either by using the manufacturer's software included or software such as EaseUS -

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/copy-os-to-ssd.html
A partition, yes. If only the OS is on that partition, then sure.

Or are you telling us this will take a typical situation of the operating system and everything else in a single partition, and parse out
just windows'? Leaving all the applications (and everything else) in that partition (or drive) behind?

If so, this is an actual first, and I'd have to see it in action to believe it.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
A partition, yes. If only the OS is on that partition, then sure.

Or are you telling us this will take a typical situation of the operating system and everything else in a single partition, and parse out
just windows'? Leaving all the applications (and everything else) in that partition (or drive) behind?

If so, this is an actual first, and I'd have to see it in action to believe it.

It clones everything on the existing SSD including Windows and other installed programs and clones it onto the new SSD.
Everything then works exactly the same on the SSD as they did on the old one.

My SSD wasn't partitioned so I don't know how it deals with those.

USAFRet

Titan
From EaseUS:
"It's worth emphasizing that you should make sure the capacity of the SSD is larger than the used space on the system and boot partition(s). "

Entire partition.

"When you use the "Migrate OS" feature, EaseUS Partition Master will clone all the content on the system and boot partition(s). Thus, if you have installed programs or saved files on these partitions, they will also be copied to the SSD. "

'...all the content on the system and boot partition(s)'

It does not and cannot parse out 'only the OS'.
Unless of course, you were proactive in setting it up, and had different partitions for. One for the OS and one or more for other stuff.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
It clones everything on the existing SSD including Windows and other installed programs and clones it onto the new SSD.
Everything then works exactly the same on the SSD as they did on the old one.

My SSD wasn't partitioned so I don't know how it deals with those.
Exactly.
The OP is seemingly looking for something to split it out, and clone/migrate "just move the os and not anything else to it "
That does not exist.

What EaseUS does is no different than Macrium Reflect, Samsung Data Migration, or several other tools.
Entire partition, not parts of a partition.

USAFRet

Titan
OK my apologies - I see what you're saying in terms of wanting to split it out.
The cloning software certainly doesn't do that.
No prob. You're not the first one to be misled by their 'text'.

---------------------------
How to Clone an OS to an SSD with Ease
To ensure you can clone the OS to an SSD smoothly,
To clone the OS to an SSD without boot issues or other problems,
---------------------------

They only talk about "the OS", leading people to think that it can parse out "only the OS" and leave everything else behind.
It cannot.

dirkrgriebel54

Prominent
Mar 21, 2018
Thanks for pointing that out. So a reinstall would be best. Can I remove the HDDs and then install windows 10 as the boot config would only find that so it points it as first? Then reinstall the HDDs and delete the old thing? Or how would that work?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for pointing that out. So a reinstall would be best. Can I remove the HDDs and then install windows 10 as the boot config would only find that so it points it as first? Then reinstall the HDDs and delete the old thing? Or how would that work?
Yes.
That IS the recommended way forward.
Read through this a time or two:

Reactions: dirkrgriebel54