Question So ive been having a problem with my Wifi lately. My connection with any dns server keeps getting cut.

Woofl

Reputable
Jun 15, 2019
Im assuming its my connection because ive tried using google dns and obtaining my dns server automatically. Internet comes back after i do ipconfig /flushdns. Im using wireless connection and my ethernet is disabled.Ive scanned for viruses with malwarbytes and nothing showed up. Can anyone help?

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model router?

The router's logs (if available and enabled) may reveal some problem.

Who has full access rights to the router? You will need assistance from that person to check the router's logs and overall configuration settings.

What is your environment: home, apartment, dorm, etc.? Are there other wireless networks around? Could be some interference from other wireless networks or devices.

Try switching wireless channels and frequencies.

Woofl

Reputable
Jun 15, 2019
Is it possibly my modem is to blamed? My modem is quite old while my router is very new
Ive tried switching channels and frequencies and not much has changed, if anything worse.
My router is called Singtel WiFi Giabyte router AC Plus
my enviroment is apartment and there are lots of other signals around but i never encounter this problem previously

The DNS error maybe misleading. You generally get that error when the connection completely drops as well as when it can't talk to the DNS server. You could manually set the DNS in your pc to 8.8.8.8 That is a goggle dns that never will be down.

It is most likely your wifi is dropping for a short period of time. Many times windows not recover correctly. I would test for a while on ethernet to be sure it is the wifi causing it.

Wifi is really tricky to fix since it can be the router, the nic or in many cases interference from outside your house. But before you try to troubleshoot wifi be sure that is really your problem.

Woofl

Reputable
Jun 15, 2019
The DNS error maybe misleading. You generally get that error when the connection completely drops as well as when it can't talk to the DNS server. You could manually set the DNS in your pc to 8.8.8.8 That is a goggle dns that never will be down.

It is most likely your wifi is dropping for a short period of time. Many times windows not recover correctly. I would test for a while on ethernet to be sure it is the wifi causing it.

Wifi is really tricky to fix since it can be the router, the nic or in many cases interference from outside your house. But before you try to troubleshoot wifi be sure that is really your problem.
So ive checked using ethernet and wifi. On ethernet i tried ping google on command prompt and had no loss and the time were all about 2ms highest being 12ms. On WiFi however, I did not receive once out of 50 and had a maximun of 297ms.
Im guessing its the connection between my PC and the router

Last edited:
Wifi you have very few options to "fix" things. It is the pretty standard try the other radio band if you are using 2.4g use 5g. You can try to change the radio channels on the router to hopefully avoid interference from neighbors but that seldom works anymore since all channels have massive number of device on them and new routers use huge blocks of radio channels rather than just 1.

Woofl

Reputable
Jun 15, 2019
Wifi you have very few options to "fix" things. It is the pretty standard try the other radio band if you are using 2.4g use 5g. You can try to change the radio channels on the router to hopefully avoid interference from neighbors but that seldom works anymore since all channels have massive number of device on them and new routers use huge blocks of radio channels rather than just 1.
Ive tried your suggestions but none seems to be working

Woofl

Reputable
Jun 15, 2019
My wifi has been acting wonky lately. Ive been running tests lately on my wifi and found that my wifi will always got high pings whenever its being used. By that i mean either my request times out or my time=2000ms. Ive tested my connection to my router and its always been <1ms even when the high ping occurs. when im only pinging my dns server or google.com its always 10ms or less. Until i either launch a game and join a server or open up any website, my ping jumps to 100ms-2000ms or timed out request. Where would my problem be?

Note: I am currently using googles' dns server