Question so ive been snooping around as usaul

HomeMadeScience

Prominent
Sep 3, 2019
right ive just re enabled "enable write caching on the device" becuase it says in result of a power loss or power outage i could loos or have corrupted data . Witch i dont wannt . i have this now turned back on my hdd 1Tb western and a pro 480 gigabyte. So.. my question is what exactly does "write caching on the device" do and would you recomend me turning this on or off .

also the 1tb western driver date 21/6/06 yeah. im not sure if i should buy a new one or what .
sum up i would like to know how dangerous write caching is and if it is please elaborate and i would like to know if i should be giving a break to my poor hard drive

thank you for your time and i look forward to a responce
ive just noticed that this post is in cpu im sorry for this ist there any way i can change it to storage sorry..

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you enable it, it caches some of the data to help applications run faster.

But in a power outage, with it enabled, you risk losing data because there will be some things that are cached but not actually written on the hard drive.

It's something to give a tiny bit more boost in certain applications; it won't give a "break" to anything.

HomeMadeScience

Prominent
Sep 3, 2019
If you enable it, it caches some of the data to help applications run faster.

But in a power outage, with it enabled, you risk losing data because there will be some things that are cached but not actually written on the hard drive.

It's something to give a tiny bit more boost in certain applications; it won't give a "break" to anything.
thank you . so your saying with is unchecked eg disabled . it wont make a huge diffrence but with it again disabled it will be safer ?