Question So lost. 3080FTW Undervolting for temps + Fan Curve. Affecting CPU Temp

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
I have PX1, Afterburner, HWmonitor/info64, and GPU-Z. I just installed my 3080ftw3 and I am not liking the temps it is feeding my air cooled 10700K by a Noctua U14S. I have 2x140mm NFA14 intake fans and a 1x150mm NFA15 Exhaust fan. I am completely new to overclocking and not liking my 10700K touching 81C during Warzone gameplay. I have a 1440p monitor I'm about to sawp from my 1080p to see if that will alleviate some CPU stress.

Why is PX1 showing 1800MHz Clock yet in Afterburner I adjusted the curve to 950mV peaking 2025MHz? Why do I have to have my fans static at a certain % instead of just letting them automatically spin at a certain % depending on the temp? Is one program overwriting the other? Frustrated..

I just closed out of a game but this is what Im staring at on second monitor
zCJkDfr.png

For starters, yes, don't use multiple apps to control the same hardware. Use only one, otherwise they will fight each other.

For second, voltage doesn't really matter here. How much power is the card consuming? If the power consumption is still the same, then the card is going to output the same amount of heat.

Most GPU's will not spin the fans unless the temperature gets to a certain C.

My old GTX 1070 was doing that and the RTX 2070 I have right now does the same. Obviously it doesn't when you install MSI Afterburner and you set a custom fan curve.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
The card doesn't turn on the fans until after some temperature. I'm not sure what it is since I don't care for this mode and have a custom fan curve set all the time.
I want to set a custom fan curve and I thought I already did that, I dont want auto. I was just surprised they didnt even come on automatically when I initially installed it yesterday. Played a game of Warzone and it shot to 88C. I should not have to manually set the Fan speed to a certain % each time I hit a threshold
Most GPU's will not spin the fans unless the temperature gets to a certain C.

My old GTX 1070 was doing that and the RTX 2070 I have right now does the same. Obviously it doesn't when you install MSI Afterburner and you set a custom fan curve.
I just installed afterburner. Mind helping me out? I opened the User Defined and I see where I can edit it. I just made one quickly and hit apply, closed PX1, and my fans are not spinning or reacting to my curve in AfterBurner...

I want to set a custom fan curve and I thought I already did that, I dont want auto. I was just surprised they didnt even come on automatically when I initially installed it yesterday. Played a game of Warzone and it shot to 88C. I should not have to manually set the Fan speed to a certain % each time I hit a threshold

I just installed afterburner. Mind helping me out? I opened the User Defined and I see where I can edit it. I just made one quickly and hit apply, closed PX1, and my fans are not spinning or reacting to my curve in AfterBurner...

Don't run more than 1 software like that at the same time. Close PX1. Start MSI afterburner. Set that custom fan curve and apply. If your fan does not start and never start it could be a faulty fan controller on the GPU itself.

Some fan on GPU's cannot go lower than a certain %. The fan on my old GTX 1070 couldn't go under 20%. If I tried it was stopping and starting non stop. 21% was ok.

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
Don't run more than 1 software like that at the same time. Close PX1. Start MSI afterburner. Set that custom fan curve and apply. If your fan does not start and never start it could be a faulty fan controller on the GPU itself.

Some fan on GPU's cannot go lower than a certain %. The fan on my old GTX 1070 couldn't go under 20%. If I tried it was stopping and starting non stop. 21% was ok.

Closed PX1. Made a quick sloppy fan curve. Hit Apply. Hit Save, clicked on a profile. HWmonitor shows 680RPM for Fan#1,#2 (Card has 3 fans obvi) but that doesnt really match the % in my curve (shown). Does this look about right?

vHgagLr.png

nQOn4ER.png

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
no longer working with PX1. Strictly afterburner. I would really like to get my temps a little lower so my fan curve doesnt shoot to 85% while gaming.

Is it really as simple as grabbing one of the points on the voltage graphs (875mV-900mV for example) and pinning it to about 1950MHz?

trofeer

Commendable
Apr 3, 2021
this is what my voltage and current stats are now. i havent done a stress test, my main workload is basically the demand of Warzone on 1440p and streaming. all low graphics settings for high fps. Ignore current temp, the game is minimized...Im peaking around 68C in game with this setup and temp in room is about 75F. I just dont care for the fan speeds when the GPU hits 68+ but I dont want to lower fan curve and increase temps

nrHNgZ9.png