[SOLVED] So many choices! Help me narrow it down a bit.

Soundchasr

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
I'm about to build my next system. I don't do any gaming but I do photo editing and video editing/encoding. I haven't bought a chip in years so I could use some help. Which should I look at? Intel.

Thanks all!

Solution
Here is an article on recommended pc hardware for Photoshop:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recommendations

What does that budget cover?
Regardless, look for a intel processor with integrated graphics(the non f versions)
Graphics card prices are crazy and even cheap units are overpriced.
At least integrated graphics will work for all but fast action gaming.
I might look for the upcoming i5-10500 processor, a lga 1200 motherboard and a 2 x 8gb ddr4 ram kit which should fit your budget.
If big interest is how the new XE2 integrated graphics will perform,
Just to give some starting points (and keeping photo/video editing in mind)...

Right now AMD is preferred over Intel and it seems it will stay so for at least next few years. Depending on how much you plan to spend, I would recommend starting at least with AMD 3700X CPU. Reason being: has very good (maybe the best) price/performance ratio and will work perfectly even on cheaper motherboard. And being a "low power" CPU, it doesn't require expensive cooler.
However, if you're ready to spend more (and be "safe" for years to come), then it should be AMD 5900X. Yes, it's price is double compared to 3700X.. but performance difference is noticeable.
You can choose Intel CPU to start with.. because AMD vs Intel situation right now, you can get some older Intel CPU for "good" price -but as usually, you get what you pay for.
The best match for AMD 3700X would probably be Intel 10700K (price- and performance wise). Just keep in mind, that motherboard for it could be a bit more expensive and you need a better cooling. As for 5900X, Intel has not a comparable CPU.

I suggest you start checking for some video reviews on YouTube and then decide.

Reactions: Soundchasr

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm about to build my next system. I don't do any gaming but I do photo editing and video editing/encoding. I haven't bought a chip in years so I could use some help. Which should I look at? Intel.

Thanks all!
It all depends on your price range and where you can buy parts from without that their no way to get a good answer because prices vary to much in different locations.

Here is an article on recommended pc hardware for Photoshop:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...-Adobe-Photoshop-139/Hardware-Recommendations

What does that budget cover?
Regardless, look for a intel processor with integrated graphics(the non f versions)
Graphics card prices are crazy and even cheap units are overpriced.
At least integrated graphics will work for all but fast action gaming.
I might look for the upcoming i5-10500 processor, a lga 1200 motherboard and a 2 x 8gb ddr4 ram kit which should fit your budget.
If big interest is how the new XE2 integrated graphics will perform,

Reactions: Soundchasr
Solution