Question So many routers and now completely confused

May 26, 2019
In last 4 weeks purchased dual band routers which give easily above 800 mbps speed. However gave me only 20 mbps speed.

TP LINK Archer Series - C60, C7, C9
Asus - RT18U

With all these routers, when Ethernet connected to WAN PORT , and Lan connected from router to Laptop, Speed drops from 80 Mbps to 25 Mbps.

With Netgear R6220, above activity as well as 5GHZ Band gave above 60 Mbps. However had to return it due to wifi drop out issues.

Now latest addition is Archer C9. Same problem as wired connection itself fails to give half the ISP speed.

Confused now, should i be replacing this model also ? If yes, which model should i purchase to get a good speed.

I think your problem is not the router. I have a cheap router from china market and it's giving me 100mbps, max of my ISP. Haven't seen any routers unable to top out the speed when connected with cable, not WiFi.

Do you have another device, besides that laptop, to test? Maybe it would be a better idea to ask your ISP to send their man to come and figure things out.

May 26, 2019
I think your problem is not the router. I have a cheap router from china market and it's giving me 100mbps, max of my ISP. Haven't seen any routers unable to top out the speed when connected with cable, not WiFi.

Do you have another device, besides that laptop, to test? Maybe it would be a better idea to ask your ISP to send their man to come and figure things out.

The only thing the ISP guy does is plug the ethernet cable to my laptop and proves that he is able to deliver 80 mbps speed.

May 26, 2019
Suspecting fake CAT cable(s).

U post on the WIRELESS forum, yet your post says you are connecting via ethernet. Keep things straight Dawg, any part of your connection going via WIFI will have some effect. Still from 80 to 20 something is wrong.
Hey. You got me wrong here. The point of highlighting Ethernet was to pin point on the exact problem that I am facing.

I can understand there can be a slight difference in speed with 5GHZ band, but the point here is all the routers which I tried last 3-4 weeks , all of them could give only a max 20-28 mbps, both over wifi and direct lan with router. Only Netgear R6220 could give me 60-70 mbps over wifi and lan. This fact led me to think either all other routers are defective ones, especially because their support team couldn’t figure out the problem and asked me to return product or take it to their service center.

Now, if it is a fake cat cable, how does it give good speed in laptop with Ethernet plugged in. Also how did Netgear router picked up speed.

Is it still possible that a cat cable could be faulty but it can work well with laptops and not with most routers ?

Cables are very strange when they don't work. They can work in some machine and not others. Sometime they work for a while and then don't.

There are 2 major types of fake cable. Copper clad aluminum (ie CCA) and that flat/thin cable that has small wires. Certified cable has pure copper wires with size 22-24. The reason they can get away with selling fake cable is the chips in some machines are more tolerant of cable that is out of spec. It works fine for some people and other have massive issues. The longer the cable the more chance it does not work.

It is a cheap thing to try. Lot cheaper than replacing another router or buying cards to replace a defective port in a PC.

Just be sure to read all the fine print. Do not buy any cable that does not say it is copper and state the wire size. It is printed on the side of most cables along with the term EIA/TIA. That used to be all you needed to look for before some companies in china started to put that on fake cable. That means they paid to certify the cable and obviously it can not be certified if it is using CCA wires so it outright fraud but will still see it sold on amazon and ebay etc.

May 26, 2019
Cables are very strange when they don't work. They can work in some machine and not others. Sometime they work for a while and then don't.

There are 2 major types of fake cable. Copper clad aluminum (ie CCA) and that flat/thin cable that has small wires. Certified cable has pure copper wires with size 22-24. The reason they can get away with selling fake cable is the chips in some machines are more tolerant of cable that is out of spec. It works fine for some people and other have massive issues. The longer the cable the more chance it does not work.

It is a cheap thing to try. Lot cheaper than replacing another router or buying cards to replace a defective port in a PC.

Just be sure to read all the fine print. Do not buy any cable that does not say it is copper and state the wire size. It is printed on the side of most cables along with the term EIA/TIA. That used to be all you needed to look for before some companies in china started to put that on fake cable. That means they paid to certify the cable and obviously it can not be certified if it is using CCA wires so it outright fraud but will still see it sold on amazon and ebay etc.

Ok. This seems to be one good reason it’s not working with many routers that I tried. Anyways I have called both my ISP guy and router support team both to home for checking the issue. This wiring shall be one thing in the back of mind to question in case both of them starts to mess around