Discussion So Microsoft finally fixed the Windows 10 scheduler that penalized AMD's Ryzen CPU's??

I hope at least one of the tech sites does a benchmarking article investigating this. Or at least include the results for Ryzen 1k/2k with and without the scheduler update when they do the Ryzen 3k reviews.
As noted in the Reddit thread, reviewers should run Gen 1 and Gen 2 Ryzen benchmarks again to compare to Gen 3. I guess that will all come out in the wash when the embargo is lifted.

But anyone else really should go run their own CB -15 and 3DMark benchmarks again, once updated to 1903. The difference in Firestrike physics score is apparently quite striking.

I only wish i could get to my rig to test it.

I haven't run Firestrike yet but 3D Mark, CB r15 and r20 do not show any difference. All results are within statistical error domain. That's when all is at defaults (except RAM at 3600MHz Cl16) also under AMD Ryzen Power plan and CPU set from 5% -100% because I run it like that most of the time.

I haven't run Firestrike yet but 3D Mark, CB r15 and r20 do not show any difference. All results are within statistical error domain. That's when all is at defaults (except RAM at 3600MHz Cl16) also under AMD Ryzen Power plan and CPU set from 5% -100% because I run it like that most of the time.
Did you also update chipset drivers? I read someone else said it needed that too. My mobo has updates for it but can't get and test.

If you're loading all physical cores with tasks that take around the same time to complete, then the overall performance won't be really impacted by the scheduler as there's little chance the scheduler will decide to move threads around in that case.

I believe the biggest uplift will be in tasks/software that doesn't use 100% of the CPU, such as... drum roll... games! These have a greater chance of suffer from thread bouncing as their likelihood of being moved is greater. The physics score in Firestrike could be due to something similar in nature, as physics calculations are very short lived, so they could be places anywhere in the CPU when they need to be done (sort of speaking).

Anyway, this update seems to be a good one.

Cheers!

Reactions: TJ Hooker

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
While I just updated to 1903 last night, along with bios and chipset updates, it did seem a bit snappier....however, that could just be wishful gaming. I'll have to try and do some benchmarking tonight as I didn't get a chance last night.