Question So my PSU fried, put a new one, PC isn't the same

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BryceSpicey

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
So my PSU recently fried in my PC. I replaced it with a new one and the games I'm running aren't the fps they used to be. I even tried a fresh install in Windows, nothing. I'll get around 100 fps on CSGO when I used to get over 400. I'll get 15 fps on DayZ when I used to have 80 min. Would the PSU that burned out possibly partially damaged some parts? Thank you! I downgraded the wattage on the PSU but I think it's more than enough. I used to have 700 watts with a 1060 6 GB and a i5 7700k, now I have a 600.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would also try running the DDU again, and then install an OLDER Nvidia driver. I've found a few results of the 202.5 Mhz stuck clock, and it seems in pretty much each case it's probably been either a driver issue when a new driver was released or a bad card.

I don't suppose you have access to another system to try that card in do you?

BryceSpicey

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
I think I would also try running the DDU again, and then install an OLDER Nvidia driver. I've found a few results of the 202.5 Mhz stuck clock, and it seems in pretty much each case it's probably been either a driver issue when a new driver was released or a bad card.

I don't suppose you have access to another system to try that card in do you?
I tried most recent drivers, and drivers that people saying rolling back on, and that hasn't done anything. I also just tried the different power connector for the GPU and that hasn't worked either. The GPU might be busted :(

Last edited:

BryceSpicey

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
Yep, I did say that a while back. I think you're right. At this point it's hard to see it being anything else unless it's the motherboard itself.
In your personal opinion, I do have a spare 7870 OC card, it's very old, but because of these extremely low speeds on my current card (1060), would it just be better to use that for now? Especially considering how bad it's bottle necking. Of course, it'd bottle neck with the 7870, but I'm assuming not as bad. Would that be the best course of action here, until I get a new card? I have a different motherboard and processor I could swap out as well, a i5 4790K. I'm thinking it could be the motherboard PCI-E slot? I'm thinking swapping out the graphics card, if I still get really poor speeds then I know it's the motherboard and I can swap it, but if not then it's the GPU, of course.

You can certainly try it and see if things improve. If you install that card you need to run the DDU again and then install fresh AMD drivers for it.

Is your graphics card not covered by warranty? You should be able to RMA it if you bought it new.

If the other card doesn't work or make things better, then you can try the other board and CPU. Personally, if it were me, I think I'd probably be running that 4790k rather than that Kaby lake i5 anyhow. Just the extra hyperthreads probably kills that Kaby i5 on performance. At worst, it's a trade off. For troubleshooting it couldn't hurt.

If it turns out that the 1060 works in that motherboard then at least you'd know. I really think it's the graphics card but it wouldn't be the first time something surprising happened.

BryceSpicey

Honorable
Dec 30, 2014
UPDATE

So I installed the new GPU, FurMark ran over 5x better I'd say. I uninstalled all drivers prior and reinstalled the new AMD ones. Graphics card was clocked at 1050 mhz at 99% usage. So I guess it is the GPU that died, sadly :( rip $300

TRENDING THREADS