[SOLVED] So now I install a new motherboard but the second fan

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I followed the advice and change Z370-p from Asus to a Aeros 390 pro fra Gigabyte. I most say its like going from East German Trabant to BMW.

Only that second fan of my Noctua NS-D15 cannot fin in the case do to the ram. Even though its low profile corsair vengence memory. I even tried to turn the fan sideways, but then my Nvida RTX 2070 cannot fit in the case.

So I am only able to fit one fan on the cooler, running i9 9900k cpu.

Hopefully the system survive with one fan? If I don't OC it?

Case = Cooler Master = S600 silencio.

Solution
On my Gigabyte Z390 I use 2x4. If you use 2 & 4, can you use the second fan? I don't think that will affect anything else.

In other words, don't use the RAM slot closest to the CPU. I think that is slot 1 (B1), use B2 and A2.
using only a single fan on a cooler like this may drastically decrease it's cooling. can you move the far-right fan to the opposite side so that it is blowing out towards the rear of the case?
or maybe just return the cooler and get something that fits.

definitely should always compare measurements before purchasing when adding hardware into a smaller case.

Do you mean the Noctua NH-D15?

If you do, then the fan position is adjustable. You can move the fan "up" so the bottom of the fan should clear the top of the RAM.

To be clear, you can adjust the fan position vertically by detaching the clips on both sides of the heatsink, move the fan "up", then re-attach the clips to the heatsink. It's made to do just that.

Edit: Just thought of something - make sure the newly increased "height" of the fan doesn't interfere with the side of your case!

Last edited:

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
using only a single fan on a cooler like this may drastically decrease it's cooling. can you move the far-right fan to the opposite side so that it is blowing out towards the rear of the case?
or maybe just return the cooler and get something that fits.

definitely should always compare measurements before purchasing when adding hardware into a smaller case.

In a game like Far Cry 5 the CPU temp reached 91 C after 5 min, so shut down again. Can that be the missing second fan or bad thermal paste ?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Do you mean the Noctua NH-D15?

If you do, then the fan position is adjustable. You can move the fan "up" so the bottom of the fan should clear the top of the RAM.

Yes, and I did discover that too. However the extra mm rise on the 2nd fan cause the case to be unclosable. So its impossible for me mount the 2nd fan.Case has a 170 mm fan limit.

In a game like Far Cry 5 the CPU temp reached 91 C after 5 min, so shut down again. Can that be the missing second fan or bad thermal paste?
i would imagine the cooler with only a single fan would still keep it cooler than that. they do also sell the NH-D15 with a single fan setup so i would guess it will still function good enough to keep an average system pretty cool.

hitting 90+° after ~5mins is pretty bad. it could very well be a bad CPU/thermal-paste installation.
what type of airflow does the system have?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I ran Aida64 stress test for 45 min and system didn't reach critical temp.

P.S. the system have three fans. One in the back and two in the front.

So what do you suggest I do ? Re-apply the paste ?

I put on a pee size amount when I re-installed the cooler. After installing the motherboard.

I followed the advice and change Z370-p from Asus to a Aeros 390 pro fra Gigabyte. I most say its like going from East German Trabant to BMW.

Only that second fan of my Noctua NS-D15 cannot fin in the case do to the ram. Even though its low profile corsair vengence memory. I even tried to turn the fan sideways, but then my Nvida RTX 2070 cannot fit in the case.
Are you using RAM slots 1&3, or 2&4? Or are you using all the slots?

On my Gigabyte Z390 I use 2x4. If you use 2 & 4, can you use the second fan? I don't think that will affect anything else.

In other words, don't use the RAM slot closest to the CPU. I think that is slot 1 (B1), use B2 and A2.

Last edited:
Solution