[SOLVED] So prices on all graphics are coming down in price, is it a good idea to a used card.

Rexer

Distinguished
Some guys, that's all they do is buy used. While others won't touch this. Would you buy a used graphics card? Of course, there are certain stipulations and criteria that need to be met but overall, is it wroth the time to buy used?
And what about refurbished? The sound of that isn't appealing yet they could be new parts from computers that don't sell. Floor models cannibalized for individual parts sales.

Solution
the highest priced used gpu I bought is a GTX 460 for 40 dollars, served well until it died to a lightning surge. I consider it a hero because it and the AVR are the only parts of the pc that got roasted. Looks like the gpu absorbed most of the electricity.

anything higher priced, I won't settle for used. For example, the GTX 1650 GDDR6 in my sig, took 3 months of saving to acquire. But I persevered to buy it brand new from a physical store at the mall. Refused offers from certain people to buy used gpu's on facebook. Because on facebook "stores" people can just close their account, and disappear like the wind to scam you.
Some guys, that's all they do is buy used. While others won't touch this. Would you buy a used graphics card? Of course, there are certain stipulations and criteria that need to be met but overall, is it wroth the time to buy used?
And what about refurbished? The sound of that isn't appealing yet they could be new parts from computers that don't sell. Floor models cannibalized for individual parts sales.
You pays your money and takes your chance. I tried it and it didn't work out so well so for me no. In my rig now the motherboard, ram, and CPU cooler are all used.

KyaraM

Admirable
I wouldn't. Used cards are always a gamble, they might be good and last a long time, or they go down quickly, at which point you like won't be able to RMA them. And right now, many used cards are former mining cards, which are incredibly risky due to the high use and loads they have seen. They break down quickly more often than not. They also lose all warranty even if they are less than 3 years old due to it.

My reply is not just for gpu’s. The warranty has value to me and buying secondhand carries risk. My rule of thumb is something must be at least 1/3 off the new price for me to even consider secondhand. However with a gpu I’d want it lower as I see them as high risk, there are scams about, also has it been mistreated or run in a system with a poor quality psu?

Ultimately I’ve never bought a secondhand gpu as they have never met my above criteria. I have bought other hardware and electrical secondhand.

Reactions: Krotow

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
When I have shopped for used GPUs, I tend to look for the people that keep the original packaging. They are likely the people that always want the latest card and use the old card to offset the purchase price. Got a nice GTX580 that way once.

Reactions: Krotow

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have purchased used or refurbished CPU, mobo, PSU, RAM, and GPU. By and large they have all been good to me for the price paid. I purchased a refurbished GPU direct from EVGA. I have not and would not purchase a used GPU from an individual that I didn't know and wasn't aware of the history of the card.

Most commonly saying things like "never mined on" "heat wasn't bad" and so forth. No way.

With the direction that pricing is going it's probably a good moment in time to hang on and watch for a few more weeks. All prediction is saying that prices are going to fall below MSRP very soon.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
the highest priced used gpu I bought is a GTX 460 for 40 dollars, served well until it died to a lightning surge. I consider it a hero because it and the AVR are the only parts of the pc that got roasted. Looks like the gpu absorbed most of the electricity.

anything higher priced, I won't settle for used. For example, the GTX 1650 GDDR6 in my sig, took 3 months of saving to acquire. But I persevered to buy it brand new from a physical store at the mall. Refused offers from certain people to buy used gpu's on facebook. Because on facebook "stores" people can just close their account, and disappear like the wind to scam you.

Last edited:
Solution

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
I don't mind buying a lot of things used I just am very careful and only use eBay because it is more professional and you can see the reviews. I only ever buy from 99% and higher reviewed sellers. Also, I haven't bought any GPUs that might have been mined on. Just a gtx 1650 and 1660 super
Right now I would not buy a used GPU and rather go for a Newegg combo or something.

KyaraM

Admirable
Your missing out, my best one was an LG C9 65” for £1400 at a time when they were selling for over £2k on sale. Open box with store 5yr warranty. I did knock them down, think it was originally offered at £1600.
My best buy in that regard was my TV. Was on sale the supermarket, a Samsung. Sold like crazy, by the time my dad, who helped carrying, and I got there they were all gone. Thwn someone brought one of the back. Not becauae it was broken or something was missing. They bought it for their dad, who couldn't deal with the smart remote. We grabbed the TV as it was RMA'd, got a discount, and left happy. The TV was in top condition and has been in service at my home for 3 years now, no issues, and really pleasant on the eyes. Full warranty included.