So, so tired. Or why Crysis is a poop head.

trueflu

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
You know what I'm tired of? Crysis. It is inefficiently programed and a poor benchmark for any graphics card. Games should serve us a perfect cup of tea not lard poured on our motherboards and chips. The game is a mess and should not be the standard. Please just stop talking about it. You want efficient gaming? Look at late releases for consoles, and ask yourself how they got so much, from such a dated system.

We need to have games tailored to specific cards released every three years that cost no more than 250.00 on release, and I guarantee that the mess of modern computer gaming and it's current slump would disappear. Sure you could buy higher or lower cards but if you got ati's or nvidia's console card every three years you'd be playing all games trailered to those cards at maxed settings.

You might say. Well who will program for just one card? They won't, they will be optimized to one card, or two if the game was cross console. This would make computer gaming cheaper than console releases, create unified quality, and cause you not to have to separate your console from your pc. And here would rise a new pc gaming age. Or at least a few million more people playing WOW. heh.

Am I wrong here? I know this idea can be illiterated much more but I want to hear some questions first. Then I'll get out my efficient blade of reason and cut up the fat/Crysis. I know the last statement was pretentious but who isn't when you spend so much time eating doritos and glued to a pc screen.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
the thing is, Crysis is the only game that will make the best gfx card run below a million FPS, and comparing 1,000,000 with 1,200,000 is immaterial (exaggeration for the noobs out there :p, 60+ is all we can see), so Crysis has a place

I'm having difficulty understanding your point.
But as far as I gather, you want...

1.A few GPU's to be supported by all games
2.All the GPU's to be under $250
3.All of the GPU's to be released in 3 year intervals

There are many problems with this, especially in the PC market.

1.There is no way that you will get games to support specific cards. There are far too many manufacturers, and it is far too limiting for a game to be made ONLY to work on a specific card. The game will fail - it won't make any money.

2.HA! There is no way that a company will sell an enthusiast class card for $250. Dream on.

3.Fast realease of new technology is what the PC industry runs on. Limiting this will slow it...and it will become EXACTLEY like the console universe - which no PC user wants. No PC user will ever opt to wait 3 years for a GPU. They want it now. That is part of the reason they game on PCs - upgradability. If parts became segmented like that, it would take sooo long to advance technology. Think about it. Games push PCs to their computing limits like no other thing. It is because of games that we have things like Tesla, and many other technologies that we built to speed a game, and it turned out to be a good way to develop the rest of the PC industry.

Sorry, but none of your ideas would work. The market won't accept it, and I don't think the user base would either.

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Are you pissed because your PC won't play Crysis?

anyhow yeah i don't feel like paying $2000 for a CPU plus $1200 for GPU just to smoothly watch some bad AI and horrendously animated aliens on a laughably cliched storyline?

The visuals were breathtakingly gorgeous though... and the suit/weapon customization was downright sexilicious. The female doc was hot lookin too.

trueflu

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
frozenlead- The market dose accept it. See all consoles. The current high end market is choking, the current model is not working.

and a few corrections.

All games to be optimized to a few affordable graphics cards. But games would also run on lower and higher cards. This is my main distinction. Optimized is the most important thing.

Two or three console cards under $250. Not all.

All console GPU's to be released in 3 year intervals, hence twice as fast as consoles, this would be an edge not a disadvantage.

Pc enthusiasts don't have to wait they can spend their silly money. But the common gamer could have nearly equal performance at a fourth of the price because of optimization. Please consult current console platforms for an idea of how this would work.

G

then get a console...

not that hard...

with PCs your always going to be paying more for the freedom of an operating system and your always going to pay more for the innovation... but consoles are for people like you so why not just buy one

ns12123

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I agree with the OP. Crysis, while definitely the best looking game out currently, is poorly optimized. There are games like COD4 and UT3, that look damn good, yet have great optimization, and most recent video cards can run them like a dream.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

If you want to be a common gamer then go be one. Go buy a generic platform and have all the same hardware as everyone else, go twiddle your thumbs on two little sticks, I'll be popping headshots with pinpoint accuracy. I'd prefer (1) To know the hardware I'm using (2) To be able to change my hardware (3) Have some fun with it-it's not all about performance in games half of the fun for me is the ENTHUSIAST part, which is what PC gaming is centered on.

trueflu

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Mihirkula- you attribute my reasoning to penis envy? Traditionally in pop culture the joke goes the other way, the bigger the car the smaller the shifter.

We could all have run Crysis beautifully with optimized specs.

trueflu

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Brendano you represent a small portion of the market, and no pc gaming is centered on the common player. Note WOW and sims. I don't want to kill modding I want the common gamer to support extreme game. Get it? They work for the nerds, let the little man feed us.

Again extreme gaming is dieing. Look at sales figures.

The current high end market is choking, the current model is not working.

Again extreme gaming is dieing. Look at sales figures.

Really? I didn't know that. :lol:

-----------------------
I agree that some games should be optimized, but it is VERY hard to optimize a game or any other program for that matter. It takes a very knowledgeable developer(s) and a few thousand( may be 10k+) lines of extra code to optimize a piece of software. The money and the time that will be spent on optimizing a game/software is currently not worth it. This could soon change with the multi GPU/CPUs become mainstream.

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Now its confirmed that you're extremely sad because you can't play Crysis on your rig.

Don't worry... in a few years time when you get a $5000 Nehalem rig you will be able to play.

Regarding your extreme gaming argument... there are two reasons why the sales are declining:

1) Sh!tload of piracy

2) System requirements.

ns12123

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

I'd say the latter is a bigger issue. I've seen numerous people buy PC games and try to play them on their overpriced rigs they bought from Best Buy, and they run like crap. Then they theorize that it can't be their PC, it's the game that sucks. Hence I believe ignorance is a significant factor.

Sorry but you really are missing the point and are completly wrong when you say Crysis isnt well programed. Most games will spit the dummy when presented with a low spec graphics card and not play at all. Crysis will play on cards ranging from a 6800GT or 9800pro all th eway through to the top end cards. This is what it says on the back of the box and i know people with these cards and it does run it. Yes sure the detail and resolution have to scale as well but what else would you expect.

Every once in a while we need to get a game come out that chalanges the hardware or else we wouldnt get any advancement as it wouldnt be needed. lets face it why put money into R&D when its not needed.

What you are basically sugesting about the tailoring of cards is what the norm used to be anyway, Far cry ATI 9800 series was the top card and was recomended and played it well. Half life even had a deal going with a voucher for the game bundled with certain cards.

The reason we are where we are now is because of the whole DX10 mess we ended up with, thats why cards are behind games and not vice versa.

mactronix

I dont get this. First of all, there isnt a console made today that can touch Crysis, at any decent res, with any eye candy, and its not made for them either. Thats the point of Crysis, a game the devs themselves said wouldnt be conquered for awhile, and guess what? No console port, cant have one cause theyre too weak. This is what consoles become eventually, and without our pc gaming and out upgrades itd never happen, unless of course youd want to slow progress, which this seems to me to be.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
crysis is 40 bucks. i found it for 34 bucks new at fred meyers for sale. at most a pc game costs 50. xbox 360 and ps3 games cost up to 60. do ur research

Personally, I think they should never charge more than 100 bucks for Nehalem, then we can spend more on our cards and games. This shouldnt slow progress, since supposedly cpus arent the problem, then make the cpu suffer, not the gpu heheh

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Definitely sounds like you are trying to make the PC market into the console market. If games were optimized for specific cards, why would anyone buy something that wasn't optimized? They'd be wasting their money. You said they could still buy better cards or worse cards, but why drop more for something that isn't optimized? All of your ideas are faulty and if you are upset about the backlash, perhaps you should look at the type of forum you are on. This is a PC enthusiast forum. 90% of the people on here are avid PC builders and the other 10% are here for advice on if they should build or buy a pre-built system. Think about your audience before you post something. Go on myspace and write a blog about it if you are this bothered, but don't come to us and bitch.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Do we really need ultra graphics realism for a game to be fun? Obviously Warcraft 3 had better graphics than 2, but did that make it more fun? Do we need more realism than Oblivion, HL2, and Doom3 offer? Will Starcraft 2 be better than the first?

Diablo 2 was a lot better than the first, because it was a much bigger game.

Do you really need to play Crysis at high resolutions with everything maxed out for it to be fun?

I see all consoles and what I see is.... NONE can play Crysis, nor will they ever with the same level of features, which is the point. You pay for power. Consoles are heavily subsidized but they age quickly, and the X360 is the most powerful console out there and it's just about to become 2 generations old after already being 2 years old.

All games to be optimized to a few affordable graphics cards. But games would also run on lower and higher cards. This is my main distinction. Optimized is the most important thing.

They are already. Go into the HUD and take the graphics sliders and move them to the left.
Not everyone nor every card can play at full setting, nor should they if they can add features that can be exploited in the future just like HDR in the FartCry 1.3 patch.

Pc enthusiasts don't have to wait they can spend their silly money. But the common gamer could have nearly equal performance at a fourth of the price because of optimization. Please consult current console platforms for an idea of how this would work.

It's not that enthusiasts want to waste money, it's that they want more and better, why would you think that a 'common gamer' should get nearly equal performance for 1/4 the price? That doesn't happen in other similar markets.
What you see now is governed by supply and demand, and the companies know it far more than you do. The prices have already changed in a marketplace that used to involve every launch at $500+ for the top card and just over half the performance at just under half the price (edit: to explain 1/2 for 1/2 in the mid-range).

That you have issues with Crysis is more your problem than anyone else's, I played it on a GFGo6800, GFGo7600 and my HD2600 fine. Sure I had to push the sliders to the left, but it still looked better like that than many DX8/9 games of their generation. Then add to that the ability to play it on high graphics later or if I had spent the money for an SLi GF8800M rig instead is a nice benefit and covers both ends of the market. It doesn't scale as well as the HL2 series which is the best at that IMO, but it scales well enough.

Why should someone who has the money for an SLi or Xfire suffer poorer graphic simply to satisfy those who value other things other than gaming? If you're passionate about gaming and passionate about any one game, then spending the money necessary to play it well, especially nowadays, isn't too much to ask for. Not even 2 years ago $150 would get you nowhere near the power you can buy nowadays (GF8800GT/HD3870), so no, I don't agree with either that premise or that we should take one of the most stressful games of the list of test games and replace is with QuakeIII and UT2K4 or the original Counter Strike just because more people could play it. No one cares about getting 400fps in those games when purchasing, they care about the games that are hard to render at their desired resolutions.

G

^ lol pwned

Just read tgga's post and also pwned... but he made me laugh FartCry 1.3 lol

And equally, not everyone should be playing those games.

Not everyone has the money for an Aston Martin, Ferrari or Porsche does that mean they should be forced to sell them for less?

That's what classic titles are for, those who spend their money on kids, travel, cigarettes, booze, etc instead. Then there are those of us who buy them all, that' the nice thing about a free market, you're free to spend your money how you want.

royalcrown

Distinguished

Halflife 2 looks just as good and is 4 years older and runs maxxed , so yeah crysis is not all it's hyped to be, plus the gameplay...ahhh, farcry remake.