So, so tired. Or why Crysis is a poop head.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nevasumma

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
"All games to be optimized to a few affordable graphics cards. But games would also run on lower and higher cards. This is my main distinction. Optimized is the most important thing.

Two or three console cards under $250. Not all."

This how it is now. ?????
?????????????????????????

Crysis, is using a graphics engine that uses all the possible technologies to there fullest.
If you don't like the game that's one story, for another forum.
If you can't play it at very high, max res. etc... then go ahead and abandon your pc, and stick with consoles, seams that's what you like anyways.
Am I wrong here?

This is really waste of time to discuss here.
Know body is going to side with going backwards in time... on purpose!
...and just to placate to people who can't spend a lot of money on their rigs.
FYI - $250 worth of vid. card(s), will allow you to play Crysis at very high, w/1280x res. (at least@ all high settings, and smokin' fast too, I did it w/1950PRO 512MB!!!)

trueflu

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Well I don't claim to be a programmer nor a Hardware engineer.

But I know that it would be difficult to compare the hardware specifications of consoles such as the 360 to the specs of say the new ati 4850.

Both the 360 and the 4850 claim an output of 1 tflop of information. I could be wrong but this seams odd since the ati card on the 360 has only 46 shader processors and the 4850 has 320 shader processors. Of course because the systems work very differently, and the 360 has fully dedicated processing from it's power PC cores, it could be that the comparison is not equatable.

This is also interesting because in early reviews 4850 would seam to have only marginal gaines in graphical quality even with the fastest main CPU. In Crysis on high in high resolution without AA the card does OK, with AA applied it is unplayable if you consider dipping to 10fps unplayable. If you ask me this means that Crysis needs a more efficient game engine, not that Ati has done a bad job.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3059788#post3059788

My basic point is that the visual quality from the 360 is pretty amazing concidering that it's hardware specs are considerably lower than the most recent releases on the PC.

I know that it was been the general consensus that during current and previous console releases gains in image quality on what seam minimal specs have been attributed to there being no hardware variation and to optimization on the part of programmers.

When I posted this initially it was to seed the idea that the PC market could directly benefit by adopting at least some part of this model. This is called a hybrid idea. And it would also seem that convincing people who are die hard pc gamers of even a small fraction of this idea would be like convincing Hot roders that they should switch to electric motors.

Which isn't required, but it would help you understand the question and answers better.
Especially when you come up with random statements with little to back them up.

Both the 360 and the 4850 claim an output of 1 tflop of information.

Where is this X360 claim? [:wr2:3]
The HD4850 is 1 teraflop of single precision compute power max, but the Xenos is 240Gflop and the Xenon core is about 115 GFLOPS, so how does that add up to a TeraFLOP? It's not even half a TFlop.
And yeah they aren't comparable at all.

My basic point is that the visual quality from the 360 is pretty amazing concidering that it's hardware specs are considerably lower than the most recent releases on the PC.

Just like the previous statement, that's based on what, other than your opinion? Any objective comparison, with AF, AA, resolution, etc?

Until you move from false assumptions to something resembling objective data about the hardware/software and about what can be done to improve it, there's nothing else to be said in the thread. :pfff:

Looks to me, this whole thing seems like hes in the cart, ready to go, looking forward to his idea working. Looking forward to seeing all these improvements. Looking forward to a day when everyone will be able to game on everything using anything...looking forward to find the horse to move the idea ahead....look behind you, I think youll find the horse there

LOL! :sarcastic:

Sure go with the PR number, which is nowhere near the real thing.

Then I'll give you the PR answer; "the fully optimized engine can perform on a budget PC which can be put together for around 600 dollars"
=103]http://www.crytek.com/news/news/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=103

Guess they already did what you were asking and any problems you're having are your fault not their. [:mousemonkey:1]

Here's an updated link since the forum has trouble with all the brackets: http://tiny.cc/OFgb4

trueflu

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
I'm not having problems, I'm playing Psychonauts for the first time, and Grim Fandango. I still think Fallout 2 was the best PC game ever. I was just addressing what I thought was a rampant schizophrenia in the PC market. Are there other solutions? Yes. Was Mine the correct one, I'm sure like all ideas that it's first conception by a layman is not the correct one.

Is the PC market too diverse? In my opinion it is. It doesn't have to be a console but it could do with a tightening around the belt. This is a practical assumption. This is the least I could ask from those who read my idea.

And the link was broken

And that's likely what you should stick to , old cheap games on cheap systems for very cheap people.

Is the PC market too diverse? In my opinion it is. It doesn't have to be a console but it could do with a tightening around the belt.

The only people who think less selectionin the PC market is a good idea (especially in light of being cheap) are very ignorant of the market place.
With fewer options that mid range card would cost more than those GF8800GT(S)/HD3870 deals and the pace of development would slow to a crawl where you'd still be paying $250 to buy an X1600.

And the link was broken

Forum truncates it, here's the tiny url version so it's easy to follow without the site re-jiggering it;

http://tiny.cc/OFgb4

In the end, you really should just stick to consoles, because hi performance and selection seem to be two things you're not interested in.

trueflu

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
GrapeApe-

So I'm cheap. If you you'd like to talk assumptions and ignorance, well go right ahead you have a fine shovel and it's workin spiffy.

Did you get the part where I stopped insulting people so that we could have an actual conversation?

So you think the PC marketing and development model is working perfect?

Well lets just take a gander at how it's doing.

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/06/17/computer_vs_the_console/?page=2

It would seem that this essay would argue against the statements I've made about the PC market, but if you read the article you'll see that sales and perseverance in PC market are largely supported by games that could be played on windows 95 "bejeweled" and games that are intentionally released with less intensive graphical demands "such as all mmos". Even Age of Conan "Gears of War still looks better" which was released last month makes much fewer graphical demands on the average PC than does Crysis.

Here is an update on some of Crysis's sales figures at the moment.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=177667

But blatantly You miss the point. I wish that high gross, middle market to be on the cutting edge instead of compromising image quality because of the inexhaustible variations in hardware among that middle market. I merely suggested that unifying and optimizing some of that middle market might be a way to do it. I want what you want, I'm just trying to figure out how to do it.

So why don't you placate me a little, give me your ideas instead of going for my balls every time.

trackman2010

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Here are some Crysis shots for all those arguing about Crysis' visuals (especially royalcrown):

If anyone thinks this doesn't look better than HL2, then he/she really needs to visit an optometrist.

I absolutely love the HL series, even more so than Crysis, but HL2 looks nowhere near as good as the latter.

Shots taken on my rig (E6600@3Ghz, 2GB RAM, 8800GT) using the Luxus Silentium graphic mod available on crymod.com. Looks almost as good as Very High settings, but does not bring down performance as much.

No, I just read what the other person writes, and also watch what I write. And you made it pretty clear you're not cutting edge with this statement: "Can play Crysis, don't like it. It would look nice if I passed on paying rent and invested $400 more in my comp."

So my charecterization works pretty well considering your own comments.
I don't get the SLi rig for myself, but then again I don't complain that my very capable (and much more than $400) editing laptop won't play games at ultra high settings either, I learn to move the sliders to the left on some things.

So you think the PC marketing and development model is working perfect?

No, but what is? Certainly not the console model. I know there's limits to the hardware and software aspects and we'd never come close to 'perfection'.

It would seem that this essay would argue against the statements I've made about the PC market, but if you read the article you'll see that sales and perseverance in PC market are largely supported by games that could be played on windows 95 "bejeweled" and games that are intentionally released with less intensive graphical demands "such as all mmos". Even Age of Conan "Gears of War still looks better" which was released last month makes much fewer graphical demands on the average PC than does Crysis.

So you post an article to refute it yourself with nothing but your own opinion. Pointless.
Crysis and other games are neve meant to be the majority of sales, the majority of people don't pay big money for bejeweled either and can find a bazillion knock offs out there. Gears of war looks better on PC than on console, so as a comparison you really need to know which you're talking about and if they are even meant to be comparable.

The masses get games that run on windows 95 because that's all that the masses ever will have the computer to run. They don't buy consoles either and paying more than $5 for a game is over priced when they can get flash games for free. Console gamers and PC gamers are different types of gamers, and they have very different expectations, and both expect more than 'the masses'. I own both console and PC, and I would never accept a company dumbing down my unlimited PC experience just because they wanted to focus on the ignorant masses or on the limitations of console hardware. That would be like them limiting the PS3 or X260 experience so that they could sell the same edition as a PS2 original Xbox experience as well. How well would that go over? Like a lead balloon.

Here is an update on some of Crysis's sales figures at the moment.

Once again your data is weak and from 2007 and mentioning UT3 in an article about specs detering 'gamers' makes me laugh having played it on my X700 equipped laptop fine.
Crysis did far better than EA expected despite the dom and gloom of ;
http://crysiseu.com/Crysis-News/EA-Crysis-Sales-Exceeded-Expectations.html

And while Crytek like other Devs (COD-Infinity Ward) complained about piracy, they're once again going to make Warhead a PC-only title. So all this talk of the hurting PC market is just the ebb and flow we go through with all console and PC cycles, each take their turn at the top which pushed the other forward. Stopping to slow down and market to the Bejeweled crowd doesn't attract gamers who pay money.

You tell me how you make DX10 titles with all the effects turned on play as well on a GF8400/HD2400 as they do on a GTX280/HD4870 and then you have a point. Otherwise you're trying to make every volkswagon polo/rabbit/golf into a Buggatti Veyron and expecting to pay Polo prices. It just isn't going to happen, especially when that crowd isn't going to pay a premium, unlike the current supercar(d) buyers.

So why don't you placate me a little, give me your ideas instead of going for my balls every time.

Because yours is a fools errand and your lack of knowledge of the complexities makes it like explaining it to a child when the child keeps asking "but why?".

You're asking for the developers to do what they can't, and pretend it's because they aren't properly motivated or something instead of it simply being a impossible mission. If they could make it look like real life for IGPs they would, because they'd sell a mint. However they can't, so they don't bother dwelling on it and instead go and program for their loyal buyers and their core markets, which remain those that spend money on games, not those who play low requirement games, those get the "game of the year edition" or buy it on sale when their cheap mid-range PC can finally handle the game.

You could make the game far more optimized if you wrote them line by line straight into machine language and optimized base code, however then developer time would go through the roof because you couldn't use HLSL, Cg and other tools to help you write the game. Even then I think if you wrote it as optimized as possible (an infinite # of code monkey in front of an infinite # of workstations), you're never going to get a GF8400GS to run Crysis at max with full post processing and blur at 1920x1200 with 4XAA.

What you're asking is to put the camel/elephant through the eye of the needle.

If you can't see that from what's already been written, then no more help from anyone here will change that. :pfff:

Agree 100% on all counts.

I LOVED HL2 at launch, spec-frickin-tacular, liked the refreshes too (too short though), and find it one of the best games ever and one of the best series ever (still nothing beats Elder Scrolls for me personally), but Crysis definitely has the visual lead when everything is cranked.

It has nothing to do with feeling towards the game since love goes Morrowind>Oblivion>HL2>>Crysis , but if you're remotely objective about the graphics, it's easy to see that those greater than symbols flow in the other direction.

trueflu

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Grape what your saying is that unifying developer tools like they do on 360 and ps3 wouldn't help?

Unifying the middle market into two competitive cards lasting for periods of two or three years wouldn't help?

Your saying that optimization on consoles takes so much more money in development that it would literally tax the PC developer out of business?

These assumptions are absurd.

But even if they were correct, isn't PC gaming about the cutting edge? Isn't it about what other gaming markets won't do? What better a place to try different models?

There are better business models. You only have to grind the camel in a blender and spray it threw the needle. And the problem is that people never look into the kitchen when they're trying to sow a camel coat of many colors.

But I know when the replies get so long and have too many abject assumptions, that the writer is frustrated and can't see that their black and white has already been so stretched out that any knowing mind can see the gray which the writer denies.

And that's your fundamental problem; you want to destroy the camel just to say you accomplished the task, just like you want to ruin game development to please the masses and not Gamers. :heink:

No thanks, you stick to those supposedly perfect consoles, we'll stick to the flawed PCs!

You're right short and sweet is better. :kaola:

Theres a thing called competition. Lets say company A sets it forcast for upgrades and compatibilities at a certain level, but company B has a totally different idea and sets theirs much higher, and when Compnay C decides to enter the fray, their working model excedes both those by quite a bit. Then mix this in with game devs whove just heard about a whole new function ability, but cant use it, since its non working in current hardware. Wardware that was just released, and its crucial for several games those devs want out. What to do? This business model sucks, is retentive and simply wouldnt work

trueflu

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
And while the new pigment in the paint titillates, we never have time to utilize the old pigment and put it to any good use.

THERE SHOULD BE A MEDIUM.

trueflu

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
In the end it's just an idea.

Intel wants to merge the GPU with CPU. This might in the end cut out alot of the slack. Who knows. New models for PC gaming are coming, we'll just have to see.

AMD owns ATI it could be that a new type of competition will arise.

I like the idea of unified processing, oddly supper computers have applied the model of thousands of correlative processors working at the same time for many years. Will Intel or AMD make the Model more flexible? Cheap manufacturing tech could change how we see the PC.

My prediction is that the CPU market will have the money and means to implement the structure of GPUs and cut out the further complication that GPUs bring to the market.

The future will tell us.

You may be far more unified before you know it.

I look forward. Please be aware that if you refuse to conceive of the market as amalgamate and amorphous that the advances will only be perceived by those with a sense of adventure.

Perhaps why we need artists.

Latest posts