Question So today, I plugged in my old drive...

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
As some of you may already know, I have an older MacBook Pro about which I've recently made a few posts.

It has been upgraded to 8 gigabytes of ram from the original 4. I also upgraded the 500 gigabyte data drive to a 1terabyte SSD.

Today, I came across the original drive and connected it to a simple SATA to USB device. It connects, mounts and is reported in Finder. But the drive appears blank.

Back in the day, I can recall that some IBM Thinkpad models had a security feature which rendered the drive unreadable if it was in anything but its original laptop. And if you tried to examine it forensically, it showed the drive as filled with zeros.

Is this feature something in Apple product too?

Thanks,
Dom

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Have you been able to go into DU and have it show all drives and devices? Then right click and show in finder?

If you don't have permission then it would have an exclamation point on the folders.

You could run DU on it through DU recovery via the internet. That will often reset a drive beyond doing it locally.

Shift+CMD+"." will show hidden files.

Reactions: Dom46

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Have you been able to go into DU and have it show all drives and devices? Then right click and show in finder?

If you don't have permission then it would have an exclamation point on the folders.

You could run DU on it through DU recovery via the internet. That will often reset a drive beyond doing it locally.

Shift+CMD+"." will show hidden files.

The drive does appear in disk utilities. And as you have suggested, I clicked on "show in finder" (note: the drive appears in finder already, but tried it anyway).

There is no exclamation point, so I have permission. In disk utilities, it shows 50% usage.

Just unable to see the drive's content.

Thank you.
Dom

TRENDING THREADS