So Ugh, that RX Vega?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jemerson127

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Ive been trying to find parts to upgrade from my gtx 960 2gb and was about to buy a second hand r9 fury x for 450 AUD (what a first hand gtx 1060 sells for) but there was some issues and i couldnt buy it until Friday. However with the release of VEGA ive noticed that in australia the XFX RX Vega 64 is literally selling for the same price as the medium tier gtx 1070 (729 dollars) would that be worth buying right now seeing that the 64 is faster than the gtx 1080 or should i wait for the Aftermarket coolers / buy that fury x? i dont plan on going to 4k anytime soon and was going to sit around 1080p for a while but this XFX vega seems like an incredible opportunity.

Current specs:
i7 6700
16gb 2133mhz ram
gtx 960 2gb
2tb Hybrid drive
power supply that im going to upgrade so doesnt matter.

Solution

TheAlmightyProo

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
Imo Vega isn't bad for what it is. It's AMD, they will use more power and make a bit more heat (that's why Team Red is more than just a cool nickname) although that wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. Much of the disappointment/derision is coming from folks who expected 1080ti performance (with no guarantees that would ever be the case) or the usual Nvidia naysayers. Aftermarket cards and better drivers will see improvements over the reference benchmarks of course, but as usual AMD have Vega pretty much maxed out already. I'd say it's only really an option for those building new or upgrading from 2+ gens ago (especially if they aim to lessen costs by going with Freesync) or folks who want a GPU that can game very nicely at up to 1440p as well as do more than a comparably priced Nvidia when it comes to actual useful stuff (for 1440 ultrawide and 4K a 1080ti would still be my only choice)
The biggest issue for AMD and partners is Vega coming so late. Imo the majority of folks who would've jumped on this gen have already done so. Navi may be on it's way and will be better still (and hopefully won't take so damn long either) but it'll still be competing with the 1080ti AND whatever Volta brings.