So, uh, what about Celeron?

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
With Core 2 Duo coming out, I've yet to hear news about any Celeron CPUs based on the Core Microarchitecture. Are they going to stay Netburst? Plus, Intel's price cuts on its Pentium line of CPUs are pretty drastic. Does that mean consumers will buy Pentium Ds instead? With Core 2 Duo replacing Pentium, could Celeron be replaced by Pentium? As if the good Pentium name hasn't been dragged through the mud enough...

G

Some sale manager at intel told us at a Intel Channel Conference that the celeron brand might be droped all together, The Pentium-4/PentiumD should fill the gap, until there's no more of them and them probably the Solo or crippled Duo will take over

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
As has been previously mentioned, the plan is to push single core Pentium 4s into the low $100 - sub $100 territory of the Celeron Ds. The Pentium Ds will be moving into the $100 - $200 territory of the Pentium 4s. (Except the 805D which will be under $100). The Celeron D line will still be around a while with new 65nm versions with 512k of L2 cache just being launched last month. They will relegated to the really low end though, ie. around the $50 - $70 mark. Q2 2007 will see the launch of Conroe-L which is the Core Solo that Action_Man mentioned. The way Action_Man saids it though makes it sound like they'll just be reject Core Duo parts. Some no doubt will be, but Conroe-L is actually a completely new single core die, and supposedly the reason it's taking so long is because it's been difficult to decouple the cores and the shared cache. I'm sure all the power saving routines and prefetch logic has to be rewritten since it no longer has to load balance. A 800MHz FSB has been rumoured and I'm hoping for 1MB of cache. (Personally I'm looking for a 667MHz FSB since a 800MHz FSB would be wasted anyways since low-ends look to be transitioning from single channel DDR2 533 to DDR2 667. However, desktop chipsets don't currently support 667MHz FSBs which makes it unlikely to happen. Besides, 800MHz sounds better and it will offer some latency benefits.)

The latest low-end roadmap is here:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2532