So what would these componets be worth... How much would you pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Im building a computer. And a teacher of mine is going to be selling a old computer to me so i can use those old parts to keep the price down. The things that i was thinking on keeping were the case and hard drive and the spare optical drive how much would you pay for this:

PSU: Antec TrueBlue 480W PS

CPU: Intell P4 3.0 GHZ

MOBO: MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R

RAM: 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 DDR400

Video Card: MSI FX 5600 VTDR128MB

DVD: NEC DVD-Rom

Monitor: Sony Trinitron 21" CRT G520

Modem: Modem-dont Know the model

Floppy Drive: Floppy 3.5"

Zip Drive: Zip100

He's selling the whole thing keyboard, drives, everything. Those were the only parts out of it i wasnt going to use so i had the idea that i could sell those parts that i dont use, and was thinking around 80-100 for the items mentioned. But is that too low or high? I was going to attempt to sell them to a friend (He loves older parts and updates his dino as he goes along, not sure if for money reasons or just likes the older aspect) but wasnt sure how much would be a reasonable amount. Just trying to limit the shock to my wallet as much as possible...

Thanks ahead guys! :hello:

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Which hard drive?
To tell the truth I wouldn't pay anything for these components. Not that they're not worth anything, it's just not worth the trouble in my opinion. Computer parts depreciate in value quickly and any money you save by buying obsolete and used components will be offset by the inevitable hardware failures, the high cost (or unavailability) of upgrades and high power usage, not to mention the waste of time.
That said, if the CPU is Cedar Mill P4 and if the fans on the PSU, GPU and CPU aren't making whirring noises, I guess $100-120 is reasonable depending on the hard drive. New hardware of equivalent or superior performance would cost around $300 but you'd have a nice flat panel screen, warranty, an upgrade path and the $200 difference would probably pay for itself in 2 years of lower power usage.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Ok all im going to use from the old computer is the hard drive its a 2 year old IDE (one of the last made) 7200, and the case/case fans (have two of my own too). And maybe that modem and the Wi-Fi card... And a older DVD drive... ;a) The rest is going to be brand spank'in new lol.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
The parts im selling are the:
PSU: Antec TrueBlue 480W PS

CPU: Intell P4 3.0 GHZ

MOBO: MSI 875P Neo-FIS2R

RAM: 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 DDR400

Video Card: MSI FX 5600 VTDR128MB

DVD: NEC DVD-Rom

Monitor: Sony Trinitron 21" CRT G520

Modem: Modem-dont Know the model

Floppy Drive: Floppy 3.5"

Zip Drive: Zip100

Thats it, just so he can upgrade his computer a little ;a)

Status
Not open for further replies.