So Whats thr word on Brothers in Arms ??

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"EdS" <EdS@EdS.com> wrote in message
news:ah9n31d94pbl8tbq1sjp663aou39d26m47@4ax.com...
> Haven't seen a single post about it.
>

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/brothersinarms

I haven't seen it in the retail store (Best Buy) around here yet. $%^#%^
retail stores get the games like a week after it's been out! Curse the
retail industry!

Ok, I'm back from my meds. Anyway, from reading the few web site reviews
at the above link, it sounds pretty good so far.

"Quite honestly the first realistic shooter I've found myself completely
enthralled within. It's cross between Medal of Honor/Call of Duty and Full
Spectrum Warrior gameplay creates an experience that is fresh and
compelling, while the multiplayer mode should make this one of the most
popular titles around."

"You play as Matt Baker, a sergeant in Fox Company of the 502nd Parachute
Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. The game takes place over seven
days, starting with the nighttime drop and ending with the action at Hill
30. Nearly all of the locations and events and characters you'll encounter
in this game have been drawn from the actual experiences of the 502nd
Regiment over those seven days. Consequently, you can expect early missions
to involve linking up with other paratroopers and taking out German
defenses. From there you'll move on to clearing out towns, blowing bridges,
and keeping Jerry from overrunning your command posts."
 

Eds

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2004
26
0
18,530
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 06:31:23 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>
>"EdS" <EdS@EdS.com> wrote in message
>news:ah9n31d94pbl8tbq1sjp663aou39d26m47@4ax.com...
>> Haven't seen a single post about it.
>>
>
>http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/brothersinarms
>
>I haven't seen it in the retail store (Best Buy) around here yet. $%^#%^
>retail stores get the games like a week after it's been out! Curse the
>retail industry!
>
Been out here since the 16th I bought SHIII instead (excellent sim by
the way) But thought it strange no one else has tried it and posted
about it here. oh well .
>Ok, I'm back from my meds. Anyway, from reading the few web site reviews
>at the above link, it sounds pretty good so far.
>
>"Quite honestly the first realistic shooter I've found myself completely
>enthralled within. It's cross between Medal of Honor/Call of Duty and Full
>Spectrum Warrior gameplay creates an experience that is fresh and
>compelling, while the multiplayer mode should make this one of the most
>popular titles around."
>
>"You play as Matt Baker, a sergeant in Fox Company of the 502nd Parachute
>Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. The game takes place over seven
>days, starting with the nighttime drop and ending with the action at Hill
>30. Nearly all of the locations and events and characters you'll encounter
>in this game have been drawn from the actual experiences of the 502nd
>Regiment over those seven days. Consequently, you can expect early missions
>to involve linking up with other paratroopers and taking out German
>defenses. From there you'll move on to clearing out towns, blowing bridges,
>and keeping Jerry from overrunning your command posts."
>
I all so read in some groups that it isn't all that and that u
basically tell your squad to lay down fire while you flank and then
kill the enemy, move on and do it again. So I thought I'd wait

BTW did I say SHIII is super cool?!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, EdS wrote:

> Haven't seen a single post about it.

unfortunately this group has having less and less posts each day and
i notice many "regulars" not with us... are they betraying the pc and
moving to consoles?
i truly hope pc gamers will embrace again the pc as gaming platform
for me changing sides and joining the enemy is completely unforgiven

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
 

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
199
0
18,690
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:mlin31ttk464joilfuthe8e80ljuirtmrc@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, EdS wrote:
>
>> Haven't seen a single post about it.
>
> unfortunately this group has having less and less posts each day and
> i notice many "regulars" not with us... are they betraying the pc and
> moving to consoles?

No, they've left here because they're tired of all the ceaseless whining
about Steam.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

>> Haven't seen a single post about it.
>
> unfortunately this group has having less and less posts each day and
> i notice many "regulars" not with us... are they betraying the pc and
> moving to consoles?
> i truly hope pc gamers will embrace again the pc as gaming platform
> for me changing sides and joining the enemy is completely unforgiven
>

This is because you are single handedly destroying it with your pathetic
vendetta.
Well done. It's pretty amazing that such a retarded twat as yourself, who
hasn't played ANY games..ever, has managed this.
Bravo, dickweed.
 

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
263
0
18,780
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:13:07 -0500, EdS <EdS@EdS.com> wrote:

>Haven't seen a single post about it.


On rails, one trick pony, (surpress and flank EVERY fight) and
overhyped. Drive on thru...


Pluvious
 

shawk

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
1,074
0
19,280
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

EdS wrote:
> Haven't seen a single post about it.
>

Very tempted to buy but to be honest it's a new type of game for me and
was waiting for some user feedback.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 06:06:17 -0500, EdS <EdS@EdS.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 06:31:23 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:
>
>>
>>"EdS" <EdS@EdS.com> wrote in message
>>news:ah9n31d94pbl8tbq1sjp663aou39d26m47@4ax.com...
>>> Haven't seen a single post about it.
>>>
>>
>>http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/brothersinarms
>>
>>I haven't seen it in the retail store (Best Buy) around here yet. $%^#%^
>>retail stores get the games like a week after it's been out! Curse the
>>retail industry!
>>
>Been out here since the 16th I bought SHIII instead (excellent sim by
>the way) But thought it strange no one else has tried it and posted
>about it here. oh well .

I do like how they implemented a system of suppression, you have
your guys put enough fire on a few of the enemy and they will fire
slower and less accurately.

What I don't like is that you aren't affected by this system, what
you have is that you fire inaccurately at all times. The M1 garand
starts to wobble the second you go to the sights, bad enough that it
will wander over a 20 foot wide area at 100 yards, taking less than a
second to wander off a human head 20 feet away. And even if you get a
shot lined up, you'll be off as much as half a foot for every 30 feet
of distance between you and the target, even if you aren't under fire.

--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability
of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

There is a very busy thread "No-one Brothers in Arms(PC)" right here on this
n.group
dated 17 march ....cant u see it ???

And yes this group does seem to have really slowed down in the last week or
so...
Luv mouse
@@@@@@@
 

Eds

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2004
26
0
18,530
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:44:17 -0000, "trimble bracegirdle"
<newmouse@beeb.netREMOVESPAM> wrote:

>There is a very busy thread "No-one Brothers in Arms(PC)" right here on this
>n.group
>dated 17 march ....cant u see it ???

Most have missed it.

>
>And yes this group does seem to have really slowed down in the last week or
>so...
>Luv mouse
>@@@@@@@
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:36:46 -0800, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:13:07 -0500, EdS <EdS@EdS.com> wrote:
>
>>Haven't seen a single post about it.
>
>
>On rails, one trick pony, (surpress and flank EVERY fight) and
>overhyped. Drive on thru...

How far into it did you get?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Memnoch wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:36:46 -0800, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:13:07 -0500, EdS <EdS@EdS.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Haven't seen a single post about it.
>>
>>
>> On rails, one trick pony, (surpress and flank EVERY fight) and
>> overhyped. Drive on thru...
>
> How far into it did you get?


I'm half way through. Anyone who likes shooters should NOT play this game.
It is NOT a shooter.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:43:13 GMT, "Smart Feet"
<smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote:


>I'm half way through. Anyone who likes shooters should NOT play this game.
>It is NOT a shooter.
>

It wasn't marketed as a shooter. All the reviews have been good. I
don't have it so can't comment personally on it but was planning to
buy it. I am hoping it's a tactical thinking mans game. Is it that?
 

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
263
0
18,780
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:43:13 GMT, "Smart Feet"
<smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote:

>Memnoch wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:36:46 -0800, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:13:07 -0500, EdS <EdS@EdS.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Haven't seen a single post about it.
>>>
>>>
>>> On rails, one trick pony, (surpress and flank EVERY fight) and
>>> overhyped. Drive on thru...
>>
>> How far into it did you get?
>
About 2 missions and gave up. (xbox- fastest rental I've had)

>I'm half way through. Anyone who likes shooters should NOT play this game.
>It is NOT a shooter.
>

That was my mistake.. I'm a shooter fan..not a squad base, sim type.
On top of that I'm sick of WWII games.. don't know what I was thinking
when I rented it, Oh yeah.. the 9.5's in reviews.. that's why. <shakes
head<

Pluvious
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Connected wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:43:13 GMT, "Smart Feet"
> <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote:
>
>
>> I'm half way through. Anyone who likes shooters should NOT play
>> this game. It is NOT a shooter.
>>
>
> It wasn't marketed as a shooter. All the reviews have been good. I
> don't have it so can't comment personally on it but was planning to
> buy it. I am hoping it's a tactical thinking mans game. Is it that?


I don't know how to catagorize it, because I don't play those types of
games. All I can say for certain is that it's NOT a shooter. I'm just
warning people who prefer shooters...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:40:52 -0800, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
wrote:


>That was my mistake.. I'm a shooter fan..not a squad base, sim type.
>On top of that I'm sick of WWII games.. don't know what I was thinking
>when I rented it, Oh yeah.. the 9.5's in reviews.. that's why. <shakes
>head<
>
>Pluvious
>
Well, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. After reading all the
ravings about FarCry I finally bought it yesterday and so far it isn't
doing it for me. It's just a shooter, nothing special at all IMO.
Maybe it will get better later.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:41:41 -0800, Connected <connected@somewhere.here>
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:43:13 GMT, "Smart Feet"
><smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote:
>
>
>>I'm half way through. Anyone who likes shooters should NOT play this game.
>>It is NOT a shooter.
>>
>
>It wasn't marketed as a shooter. All the reviews have been good. I
>don't have it so can't comment personally on it but was planning to
>buy it. I am hoping it's a tactical thinking mans game. Is it that?

From what people are saying here is there is one tactic: flank. A good tactic
but it does make it sound like a one trick pony.
 

Jab

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004
71
0
18,630
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Memnoch wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:41:41 -0800, Connected <connected@somewhere.here>
> wrote:
>
>
>>On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:43:13 GMT, "Smart Feet"
>><smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>I'm half way through. Anyone who likes shooters should NOT play this game.
>>>It is NOT a shooter.
>>>
>>
>>It wasn't marketed as a shooter. All the reviews have been good. I
>>don't have it so can't comment personally on it but was planning to
>>buy it. I am hoping it's a tactical thinking mans game. Is it that?
>
>
> From what people are saying here is there is one tactic: flank. A good tactic
> but it does make it sound like a one trick pony.

Well there's a bit more to it than that but each to his own. For me it
has all the best bits of COD - squad based levels - without the worst
bits - the dam level etc. - coupled with squad based tactics and some
really in depth action. Just my 2p's worth.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Connected wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:40:52 -0800, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>
>> That was my mistake.. I'm a shooter fan..not a squad base, sim type.
>> On top of that I'm sick of WWII games.. don't know what I was
>> thinking when I rented it, Oh yeah.. the 9.5's in reviews.. that's
>> why. <shakes head<
>>
>> Pluvious
>>
> Well, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. After reading all the
> ravings about FarCry I finally bought it yesterday and so far it isn't
> doing it for me. It's just a shooter, nothing special at all IMO.
> Maybe it will get better later.

There is no excuse for making an incorrect purchase there. FarCry as been
out plenty long for you to be able to research and know, without any doubt,
that it is nothing but a shooter.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:13:29 GMT, "Smart Feet"
<smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote:


>There is no excuse for making an incorrect purchase there. FarCry as been
>out plenty long for you to be able to research and know, without any doubt,
>that it is nothing but a shooter.
>

You don't know the facts. I have plenty of excuses. I played the demo
long ago and thought it was ok but nothing special so never bought it.
I went to the store to buy either BIA or SHIII and they had niether in
stock, I saw FarCry sitting there for a low $29.99 CAD so thought
"hey, what the hell, at that price I may as well give it a chance" and
I wanted something new to play. It's got the fun factor to it but it's
no Chronicles of Riddick, that's for sure. Too bad CoR was so short
though as IMO that was game of the year material if only they had
fleshed it out into a longer game. CoR actually made you think, FarCry
has no thinking required, ok, maybe a little.
 

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
263
0
18,780
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:53:10 -0800, Connected
<connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:40:52 -0800, Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com>
>wrote:
>
>
>>That was my mistake.. I'm a shooter fan..not a squad base, sim type.
>>On top of that I'm sick of WWII games.. don't know what I was thinking
>>when I rented it, Oh yeah.. the 9.5's in reviews.. that's why. <shakes
>>head<
>>
>>Pluvious
>>
>Well, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. After reading all the
>ravings about FarCry I finally bought it yesterday and so far it isn't
>doing it for me. It's just a shooter, nothing special at all IMO.
>Maybe it will get better later.

WOW.. I'm surprised at that. Of course to really appreciate FarCry I
hope you can crank up the settings to Very High across the board. I'm
still getting 60-80 fps with those settings and the game really shines
if you have the horsepower.

Pluvious
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Connected wrote:

> I wanted something new to play. It's got the fun factor to it but it's
> no Chronicles of Riddick, that's for sure. Too bad CoR was so short
> though as IMO that was game of the year material if only they had
> fleshed it out into a longer game. CoR actually made you think, FarCry

Where did CoR made you think? If you mean the little sneaking parts, this
can be done in FarCry too and was much better done in the Thief series.
If you talk about the small RPG bring-object-to-person part, we have seen
much better in Deus Ex or lately in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

For me, CoD was a typical short consolish movie tie-in. I'm almost more
surprised that people claim it to be game of the year material than the
dissappointing HL2. For me GOTY would be Vampires for gameplay, D3 for
engine, FarCry for outdoor levels and HL2 for physics. No game alone!

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:37:37 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:


>Where did CoR made you think?

The whole game made you think. How to get past that Robot, how to get
down to the mines, lots of little puzzles. FarCry has none of that so
far, it's basically run and gun and any puzzle elements have been dead
simple.

> If you mean the little sneaking parts, this
>can be done in FarCry too and was much better done in the Thief series.

Yes, Thief3 was good. Sneaking in FarCry is poorly done, it's just an
afterthought and most of the time is not needed. Play Splinter Cell
series for a real stealth game.

>If you talk about the small RPG bring-object-to-person part, we have seen
>much better in Deus Ex or lately in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Um DeusEx is how old? We are talking 2004/05 games here.
Never played Vampire - Bloodlines but the one before it was poor so
I'm in no rush to buy it.

>FarCry for outdoor levels

Joint Ops/Escalaltion has a much better outdooor environment. FarCry
is too cartoonish looking and has narrow pathways. I'll finish FarCry
but it's not really my cup of tea.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Connected wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:13:29 GMT, "Smart Feet"
> <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote:
>
>
>> There is no excuse for making an incorrect purchase there. FarCry
>> as been out plenty long for you to be able to research and know,
>> without any doubt, that it is nothing but a shooter.
>>
>
> I have plenty of excuses.


Of that I have no doubt...