[SOLVED] So when using a 4K TV for PC gaming, do we still use the TV's Game Mode option ?

Davv

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
I use my 4K TV for console gaming and PC gaming. So I use the TV's Gaming Mode for whenever I console game. But seeing how I'm using the PC input for source for PC gaming do I still enable Game Mode also ? I'm asking cause the source input is set to PC and by doing that it already grays out some options in the picture settings so I'm thinking it's the kinda like a Game mode for PC's.

Solution
Game mode on TVs eliminate screen latency by turning off extra picture enhancement processing improving input lag but picture quality is reduced. Input lag can be noticeable on either console or PC if not set to game mode.

Depends on TV (TV input lag varies across models) what game's you play, how sensitive to input lag you are and how the picture looks.

Personally, I'm not a fan of input lag in any game. Both controller or mouse/keyboard need to be in sync, as in, when i move mouse or press a button, i need to feel it instantly otherwise im put off my game so i sacrifice picture quality for quicker input. Of course, i could get used to it, but no thanks, it'll only screw with self coordination later on.

Davv

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
Samsung NU8000

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000

It's a good 4K TV.

In the settings it says to use Game mode it's not specific for PC.

This is the quote:

"GAMING SETTINGS
To enable Game Mode, select 'External Device Manager' from the 'General' menu, and then select 'Game Mode Settings'. Set 'Game Mode' to 'On'. For SDR gaming set 'Sharpness' to '0' to remove any sharpening. To enable chroma subsampling when playing from a PC, set the input icon to 'PC' under the 'Input Device Manager' submenu."

I've set the input to PC but not game mode. For all I know it's meant for consoles.

I just want to know if I'm using PC mode do I still use the game mode too ? I'm maybe thinking PC mode is good for text and chroma subsampling Y444 but I'm still getting the most input lag. That's why I still need to use game mode.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Game mode on TVs eliminate screen latency by turning off extra picture enhancement processing improving input lag but picture quality is reduced. Input lag can be noticeable on either console or PC if not set to game mode.

Depends on TV (TV input lag varies across models) what game's you play, how sensitive to input lag you are and how the picture looks.

Personally, I'm not a fan of input lag in any game. Both controller or mouse/keyboard need to be in sync, as in, when i move mouse or press a button, i need to feel it instantly otherwise im put off my game so i sacrifice picture quality for quicker input. Of course, i could get used to it, but no thanks, it'll only screw with self coordination later on.

Last edited:
Solution