So who is right? How much thermal paste is enough?

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
The forum guide shows quite a bit spread over the entire heat spreader of the cpu. However, the arctic silver guide online tells me to put a really small amount in the middle (pea-sized) and then just attach the heatsink (spreading it by pushing it down).

I've tried twice now and my cpu temp in bios is 50 degrees which is too high. So what is the right way to go?

(BTW, I'm working with amd athlon 64 X2 and its stock heatsink)

mimart7

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
Artic Silver says to use a bad about the size of grain of rice or a litlle less. You may want to invests in an after market cooler, like a Zalman 9700, Tuniq, or an Ultra 120. HTH

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
Yeah, I think the thermal paste has settled better now because I'm getting around 39 C when its idle in windows XP. When I open some program, like firefox or something, it shoots up to 46-48 C.

It should be fine. If it seems to run too hot after a while I may wipe the sink and processor clean and reapply.

I apply just enough to spread a thin even layer over the die or heatspreader, thin enough to cover so you cannot see through it.

Thermal compound should never be gooped on and squished out around the edges, its only purpose is to fill the micro voids in the two contacting surfaces.

Too much thermal compound will act as a heat insulator instead of a heat conductor, less is best period.

I use a razor blade to spread and acheive a thin even layer, if you use the spot in the center method you may not get even coverage, and will probably use more than you needed to.

Most do what works best for them and this works best for me.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Not a great picture.. but:

S6300021.jpg

Spread out extremely evenly with a credit card as thin as I could make it.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Just put a lil blob in the middle, spread it a bit with a old credit card if you want, it just moves into the right places, putting a bit 2 much really doesnt raise your temps much anyway, Ive re-applied some before without removing it temps didn't change anyway.

Aslong as you dont put an extreme amount on itll be fine.

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004
That's goo advice Ryan, about spreading a thin enough layer on but not so thin that you can see through it.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I used to do that, spreading it thin just enough to cover it. However, I just tried putting a blob in the center and my temps dropped instantly. From 40C-->35C. Ambient temps were about the same. Since it's "instantly", there was no cure for the AS5. Too little is too bad imo.

cutter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

Did you just put a blob in the center and then just drop down the heatsink?