[SOLVED] So would installing a front radiator basically block all RGB lights inside the case ?

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
I am using QL120 fans (RGB lights on both exhaust and intake sides).

If I were to mount a Corsair 480mm XR7 radiator on the front side of a Corsair 7000X case, would that basically nullify all RGB effects shown in the interior?

I want to run dual 480mm XR7 radiators on the front and side of the case. However, I do not want to sacrifice RGB effects if it can be avoided.

Instead of the front 480mm XR7 radiator, I was thinking of using a 420mm XR7 radiator on the top. Oh wait, Corsair does not even have an XR7 420mm radiator (it only comes as the XR5 version). I guess I could just use the XR5 version, but I think it would kinda look weird (for the sake of consistency) having one slim radiator on top, then a thick one on the side.

Do y'all think it's worth waiting to see if Corsair releases a 420mm XR7? It seems like it would be a good idea considering the release of the 7000X.

Solution
Radiators are some of the least restrictive components, while GPU blocks are some of the most restrictive. D5 pumps can move a lot of liquid - I have run an EK D5 for a few years, before that I ran a Swiftech Laing D5 (they are all technically Laing D5's). I've also tested the Corsair Hydro X cooling stuff - I have some of it at my house in a large Pelican hard case.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hydro-x-series-watercooling-kit,6290.html

Ralston18

Titan
The purpose of the radiator(s) is/are to cool.

That should take precedence over the RGB effects.

All fans and radiators should be installed IAW (In accordance with) the respective manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations. (Be sure to reference the case documentation as well.)

Unfortunately those guidelines and recommendations may be contradictory and/or otherwise get in the way of each other.

RGB should be the first thing sacrificed.

Not worth waiting. Heat is bad. Cool your system...

Never let form get in the way of function.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Also, QL fans are probably the least qualified to end up as radiator fans. They might be the 'prettiest RGB' but they aren't that great for moving volumes of air through a radiator.

Also, Google is your friend: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=177553

The thread is a couple years old and doesn't cover the newer QL series, but they certainly aren't the ML or SP series, that's for sure.

Also Also, same as USAFRet.....

Why are you running 2 of them (XR7 or XR5 radiators)? Not that I'm here to stop you, but what do you feel is the driver behind this much radiator? What all are you cooling? What will your loop consist of?

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
I will be cooling and overclocking a Ryzen 9 5900X as well as a 3080 TI.

Do you think a single XR7 480mm radiator would do the trick? I will not be using dual 360s because a 360 will leave 120mm of extra space which I do not want.

Also, are QL120 fans that bad? If I already bought them, should I return them?

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Why 2 of them?

What, specifically, will they be cooling?
Configured how?

I am unsure of how I will configure them as of yet. I will be cooling and overclocking a Ryzen 9 5900X as well as a 3080 TI. I am not sure if a single XR7 480 would be suffice.

Even if it was suffice though, I am interested in just getting a second one for the sake of it, simply because I am already going to be spending a lot on the case, fans, and a custom loop. The extra $200 CAD won't make that much of a difference and it would go a long way for future-proofing this system. Ideally, I would like to hang onto my case + fans + custom loop for the next 10 years. I do not know what kind of upgrades I will make over that long duration of time. Maybe as soon as 2022, I will SLI two 4090s whenever they come out. Who knows what I'll do... If the GPU prices go down by then.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
QL fans are not really designed for moving air through a radiator, they aren't rated for static pressure, which is what is usually required for rad fans.

The ML and SP fans would be more in line with those duties.

You don't necessarily have to return them, but this is one of those instances where doing the research first would have possibly changed your purchase. This happens quite often from what I've seen on the forums...user makes a snap decision purchase, then starts asking 'is this the right thing to have'....only to find out it could have been very different.

The QL fans will still move air, but just not the optimal volume of air compared to ML or SP fans. Having 2 massive radiators makes this less of an issue, but you're still not reaching full potential due to the fans used, but this may not be 100% needed.

But a lot of other considerations need to be accounted for like pump(s), flow rate required, blocks used, number of blocks, tubing and routing, fitting/tubing size, fitting angles and number of them (flow restriction), etc.

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
QL fans are not really designed for moving air through a radiator, they aren't rated for static pressure, which is what is usually required for rad fans.

The ML and SP fans would be more in line with those duties.

You don't necessarily have to return them, but this is one of those instances where doing the research first would have possibly changed your purchase. This happens quite often from what I've seen on the forums...user makes a snap decision purchase, then starts asking 'is this the right thing to have'....only to find out it could have been very different.

The QL fans will still move air, but just not the optimal volume of air compared to ML or SP fans. Having 2 massive radiators makes this less of an issue, but you're still not reaching full potential due to the fans used, but this may not be 100% needed.

But a lot of other considerations need to be accounted for like pump(s), flow rate required, blocks used, number of blocks, tubing and routing, fitting/tubing size, fitting angles and number of them (flow restriction), etc.

Right now I have a single Hydro X Series XD5 Pump/Reservoir combo. If I were running dual 480mm XR7's, would this pump be sufficient do you think? Or would I need a second one. Pretty sure I can fit a second in my case.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Radiators are some of the least restrictive components, while GPU blocks are some of the most restrictive. D5 pumps can move a lot of liquid - I have run an EK D5 for a few years, before that I ran a Swiftech Laing D5 (they are all technically Laing D5's). I've also tested the Corsair Hydro X cooling stuff - I have some of it at my house in a large Pelican hard case.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-hydro-x-series-watercooling-kit,6290.html

Solution