Question SoC vs VDDCR SoC?

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
So I have an Asrock B450 Pro4 with the newest bios, in the OC tweaker I have 2 separate voltages both for SoC. One reads SoC Voltage (VID) and the other SoC/Uncore OC Voltage (VID). What's the difference? I'm assuming that the SoC/Uncore voltage is either for cpu's with integrated graphics, or for extreme memory overclocking for when you go over that FCLK of 1900 and are no longer at a 1:1:1 ratio. But Then why separate the 2 voltages if they're both the same? Please help me resolve my confusion.

EDIT: I also am trying to work out the new BIOS. I'm using my dram calculator because I'm lost when it comes to ram subtimings. My BIOS has 2 different areas to manually tune all those things. One in the OC tweaker tab, and the exact same settings in the Advanced tab under AMD PBO "overclocking". I've just been using the OC tweaker tab to set subtimings. I don't know why there's a second page for tuning the exact same settings.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
SoC/uncore is the voltage applied to components in the cpu other than the cores, things like the memory controller. VDDCR SoC is the voltage of external graphics cards memory controllers etc. So the SoC/uncore applies to the Vega igpu, VDDCR doesn't. VID differs from usage as VID is demanded voltage, not actual used voltage. So you'd want demand to be a fraction higher than usage (setting or offset) not lower or the cpu/gpu gets starved.

Ryzens don't actually use VID as such, it's generally listed as like VCORE instead and the actual usage reported by SVI2. (HWInfo).

And how it's reported is different in every bios as that's setup for the engineers common terminology not ours, so there's consequently no exact standard for what something is named, only what it is.

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
SoC/uncore is the voltage applied to components in the cpu other than the cores, things like the memory controller. VDDCR SoC is the voltage of external graphics cards memory controllers etc. So the SoC/uncore applies to the Vega igpu, VDDCR doesn't. VID differs from usage as VID is demanded voltage, not actual used voltage. So you'd want demand to be a fraction higher than usage (setting or offset) not lower or the cpu/gpu gets starved.

Ryzens don't actually use VID as such, it's generally listed as like VCORE instead and the actual usage reported by SVI2. (HWInfo).

And how it's reported is different in every bios as that's setup for the engineers common terminology not ours, so there's consequently no exact standard for what something is named, only what it is.
Well I have both values manually set to 1.05v for my ram tuning.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I'm using a 3700x and a kit of 3600C16 TridentZ and I'm just going on what I get from the dram calc fast presets. Everything seems to be working fine. Although before I was using an older version of the dram calc and it would boot and I wouldn't see any errors when running memtest. But every once in a while I'd get a failed boot and a BIOS reset. I grabbed the newest dram calc and it had adjusted values and one extra setting than the previous profile I used, I haven't had any bad boots yet, so I'm hoping it corrected itself. I just don't know if I should be setting both those SoC voltage values manually.

Last edited:

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

I'm not really sure what I should be setting the VDDCR voltage to. Stock has it set to 1.18, which seems a little high. And in my bios, it specifically names the SoC/Uncore OC voltage as the VDDCR voltage, at least that's what Ryzen Master is saying.

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
this is what my motherboard specifically says
IMG_20200605_183942.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Everything I've ever seen on the SoC voltages says max 1.2v and that's not changed. I've not seen anyone mess with the VDDCR as that's OC on the gpu, and usually gpus don't really require bumping mc. So default for that.

You should probably leave the SoC at whatever works, if it works on default, then good, that's lower, and you already know it's good on 1.05 so you won't need higher, so test it out by going down a notch. If you get an error, then go back up.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, conflicting info. One place says one thing, another says another thing. According to 'hisevilness' site on OC an APU, the soc/uncore voltages are everything except the core voltages, but some more advanced bios and Ryzen master have a further setting of VDDCR which is for the Vega graphics. Which is where it gets confusing since he talks about voltages of 1.35-1.45, yet everywhere else says SoC max of 1.2v (which would include the igpu) yet AMD says SoC can be 0.9v-1.5v.

Ppl and stupid names, wish they'd all call things the same lol.

So if what 'hisevilness' claims is true, then you can just leave the VDDCR at auto/default since you aren't using/overclocking an igpu, correct? And the only setting would be the SoC/uncore use for the memory controller and ram stability.

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Yeah, conflicting info. One place says one thing, another says another thing. According to 'hisevilness' site on OC an APU, the soc/uncore voltages are everything except the core voltages, but some more advanced bios and Ryzen master have a further setting of VDDCR which is for the Vega graphics. Which is where it gets confusing since he talks about voltages of 1.35-1.45, yet everywhere else says SoC max of 1.2v (which would include the igpu) yet AMD says SoC can be 0.9v-1.5v.

Ppl and stupid names, wish they'd all call things the same lol.

So if what 'hisevilness' claims is true, then you can just leave the VDDCR at auto/default since you aren't using/overclocking an igpu, correct? And the only setting would be the SoC/uncore use for the memory controller and ram stability.
It looks like I have to manually change the VDD SOC voltage just to force an SOC voltage. I went back over that gamers nexus video "how to kill your SOC with safe voltages". He happened to talk about it, and it's not 100%, but it looks like the SOC and VDD SOC are one in the same. So I'm just setting both to the same value, ryzen master reads VDDCR SOC while HWinfo just reads SOC voltage, but both softwares are readying the same value now after changing the SoC/Uncore OC value, so that kind of confirms the gamers nexus theory, at least on my motherboard.

It's just bizarre to add a completely redundant setting with the actual setting right below it. Lowering it from it's default 1.18-1.2v dropped cpu temps and I've seen 0 instability since, 0 errors running memtest, no blue screens, and no more failed boot attempts, so looks like I got it sorted I think. Thanks.

Last edited:
So I have an Asrock B450 Pro4 with the newest bios, in the OC tweaker I have 2 separate voltages both for SoC. One reads SoC Voltage (VID) and the other SoC/Uncore OC Voltage (VID). What's the difference? I'm assuming that the SoC/Uncore voltage is either for cpu's with integrated graphics, or for extreme memory overclocking for when you go over that FCLK of 1900 and are no longer at a 1:1:1 ratio. But Then why separate the 2 voltages if they're both the same? Please help me resolve my confusion.

EDIT: I also am trying to work out the new BIOS. I'm using my dram calculator because I'm lost when it comes to ram subtimings. My BIOS has 2 different areas to manually tune all those things. One in the OC tweaker tab, and the exact same settings in the Advanced tab under AMD PBO "overclocking". I've just been using the OC tweaker tab to set subtimings. I don't know why there's a second page for tuning the exact same settings.
Are you trying to OC memory above it's XMP ?

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Are you trying to OC memory above it's XMP ?
Not with the dram calc. I was wanting to find timings that I can boot with, then I was gonna try and go for 3733 if I could. It boots and appears stable at 1.42v with 1.05v on the SOC @3733mhz, but it fails memtest every time. I tried loosening primary timings, still unstable. I'm still new to ram overclocking which is why I'm just using the dram calc for secondary timings.