[SOLVED] Social Network Stalking...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 11, 2020
Hello TH community. I apologise if I am posting this in the wrong place and I am sure there are better forums that I could ask these questions, it's just I believe most of you here are technological experts and perhaps you can give me some advice in this matter that I have been dealing with for a long time now...

To make a long story short, I am being stalked on Instagram by a certain person and blocking, muting or restricting this person does nothing, I have tried all that and he just keeps coming back with new accounts.

The reason I am here is to ask a question to those who know about IP's, Mac Addresses any form of Networking etc, before I try very hard to contact Instagram about this matter as I don't wanna be wasting my time if they can't do much about it from their end.

Anyways, I was wanting to ask, if I was able to get in touch with Instagram, could they possibly do a special block on this guy, perhaps block his IP or computer/phone mac addresses, from no matter how many accounts he makes from locating my profile on Instagram... that way, he can never find me nor contact me again, I am just wondering if this is technologically possible? It may sound like a strange question, but it is 2020 now and I feel there should be things like this put in place for people who are in the same situation as me.

Your thoughts?

P.S. if I have posted in the wrong place, I hope the mods can repost my subject in the right area of the forum. Thank you for your time guys!

Dominique!

Solution
What about an actual routers MAC address and not the computers, I heard that Instagram has access to that, at least that's what I heard from other people anyway, although it could be pure myth as you know the internet as people like to gossip, but it's worth asking.
No. That is only seen inside your personal LAN.
The only public thing is the IP address.

All "the internet" knows is "send data to this public IP address". The router then figures it all out.
And either sends it on to the relevant device that asked for it, or simply drops it in the case of random outside traffic trying to come in.

https://superuser.com/questions/510920/is-my-mac-address-public-when-browsing-the-internet
Thanks for the advice... still though, this stalker is from another country and hasn't threatened me, so I doubt if I did approach these people that they can do much about it, that's why I was wondering since I did hear Instagram has access to a persons device, not sure if it's MAC Address, IMEI, Advertising ID or some other number as there are so many and they could block him from finding my profile that way instead of going through the hardship of seeking legal advice... which will probably be a waste of time when it comes to my situation.

You think there would be something... it is 2020 after all. Not trying to be a whiner, but there should be better things put in place for stalkers such as this. If anyone has any more advice when it comes to my question, I would appreciate it. If not, thanks anyway!
Even if instagram could ID devices (which they cant, they dont compile that sort of information, read your terms of use), they have no reason to act on it.
"Hey instagram, this person keeps making accounts and looking at my profile, they arent doing anything though"
Out of their millions of users, there is nothing actionable about your case.