Sockect M2 vs 939

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
Hi all,

I am in the process of seriously considering my options in a new pc with the view to spend around 4.5k x2 AUD on 2 entire new systems (mine and wifes).

What I would really like is some serious advice, from people that I personally know I trust, if it would be worth waiting for the release of the socket M2 and DDR2 support?

I know the release dates Q2 next year, but supporting DDR2 and the new socket provides an upgrade path, which is the reason for my thinking. (i got caught with SDRAM just before DDR become mainstream, well intel mainstream anyway).

So your advice on this would be greatly appreciated, and I will be sure to post finally system specs for valuable comments just before purchase time.

Thank you all

"" Society is to blame ""

And what are you intending to do on these PC's then?

BTW, is that 4.5k each? (Anyone know the UK or US amount?)

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
My wife operates a modelling agency that involves a great deal of photo editing, and also some video editing/encoding.
For business reasons its better if both rigs support this. I myself mainly game, whenever I can get out of helping with the other stuff, but I am often running more than 2 or 3 things at once and changing between tasks.

The 4.5k would roughly equate to around 3.4k US and yes this is per pc

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Could you please send pics :tongue:

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
hehe, of the models I am assuming, not of the new rigs... as most of the models are aged between 5 and 17, I dont think so, plus it would be very unprofessional, nah nah.

But just for your drooling imagination, there ceratainly is a few stunningly gorgeous models that would be VERY interesting to know in a few more years :)

Cheers

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
Thanks for the advice Wusy.

How accurate do you think their release roadmap is going to be?

Do you think Q2 2006 may actually turn out to be Q3 2007?

Well, being 19 I still can have my eye on those 17yo's! :lol:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im purely speculating, but I bet AMD will stay on track with the migration to DDR2. Some of the top RAM experts are now telling me that the industry is moving towards DDR2 and not just talking about it anymore. This is a different tune than I was hearing a couple of months ago.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Lucky Bastard! Im afraid that looking at 17 year olds would make me a dirty old bastard :tongue:

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
We are getting by with what we have now, (just they are p3's) but we are about to launch another advertising campain, so it depends on the volume we recieve from that.

I am leaning towards the wait, especially after your opinion, and depending on volume its more than likely we could struggle through for another 6 months, but if they push the release date back and it ends up being 12-18 months before we see the new socket I dont know that I want to wait that long.

It kind of ends up being a catch 22 though, once you start waiting, you have to see it through, otherwise we should have just gone ahead previously.

RichPLS

Champion
You would just be a dirty bastard... ;) in a few more years you become a dirty old bastard...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
Hehe, I guess you could, But sorry Ned, I will not be posting any pics for such personal gratification :)

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
Which makes the wait for DDR2 rather important for any future proofing, because DDR is going the way of SD

Fine, don't help him anymore guys!

Haha, I'm joking :lol: ...or am I? :tongue:

RichPLS

Champion
Your such a prevert! ;)

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Causeican

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2003
Sorry to disappoint Ned. Its a question of professionalism. Maybe visit www.thehun.com (or any other favourites you may have) to cheer yourself up. I'm sure you have them well bookmarked. Its all good

RichPLS

Champion
Does everyone know about the hun???? I thought those were my babes. ;( Sluts, every one of them.

Just to clarify I was joking - I don't need pics, I have the real thing

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The move to DDR2 has held me off so far also, but one thing to keep in mind is that even after AMD goes to DDR2, the MOBOs supporting DDR arent going to be left behind. RAM prices have been very low, but thats coming to an end soon .

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

Huh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Is there any reason why you need to buy both systems at the same time? Would it make sense to buy a system now using the current "cutting edge" technology and at a later date buy another one using the current "cutting edge" technology?

Replace your wife's computer now and at a later date replace it again and pass her "old" one on to you.

This would give you addition capacity (breathing room) and give you an opportunity to refine your specs since you have experience with current tech in your application.

I would just buy now. Get to X2 AMD systems and call it a day. DDR2 isn't gonna bring that much of a performance improvement. They aren't P4 the AMD's chips aren't bandwidth hungry. As for upgrade path, if your using p3 now and the performance is decent. I doubt u having the X2 system for like 3+ years will make that much of a difference. The improvement u will see from going to a P3 to an X2 will be more than x10!

G

Well socket M2 migh bring more than DDR2 too the table. THe new ODM might be significant, it should be able to handle more memory, faster and probably better. Also the Opteron's socket has some 1200 pins, rumors are that it will include On die PCIe...
And maybe it will bring more to the table in the future, who knows.
IMO its not that clear cut, I second the suggestion of buying one now and wait for the other!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

The part about the opteron's don't apply here cause he is not looking at one of those. As for faster and extra memory, I think a current 939 board would be more than fast enough for his needs.

The only thing I agreed with was your last statement were buying one now and the other one later would be a good idea.

G

I mentionned the opteron because there's not that much specific info on exactly what M2 will and will not bring. Why would the opteron get 1200 pin and the A64 get 940(thats what I understood). And why would a WS/Server need integrated PCIe and not a desktop???
Anyway I thought Id mention it!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0