Socket 1156 with SLI

Thronk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
The current board I have is a GA-P55A-UD3 which doesn't support SLI. Found this out too late as I bought a second MSI 560ti twin frozr II for it.
Doing a search for SLI supported with socket 1156 came with very low results, as they're being discontinued. What I did find is Asus P7P55D-E PRO which I think will manage the SLI and my G.SKILL Ripjaws 8gigs. Doing this make me keep my Intel i5 750 cpu and just have to purchase this board. However....

Should I just go and purchase a newer mobo and cpu? Looking at these:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
with the memory and video cards I have?

Currently playing BF3.

Specs:
Intel i5 750 cpu
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 mobo
MSI 560ti Twin Frozr II
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
Intel SSD 80gb
Thermaltake Toughpower 650w PSU

Solution
Return the card, sell the one you have and buy a 580 lightning or Asus DCU then overclock for great results. Your current Motherboard and CPU will in no way limit anything.

I recommend this as an option as I do not know much about SLI with 8 + 8 PCIE lanes.

I've read the losses are up to 8 % but this is with really high end cards.
The 560ti is a great card but not really as powerful as the surely amazing cards that were used in the reviews you have read.
Try selling your old board/cpu/heatsink as a combo deal on craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum. Keep running it until it's actually sold; I wouldn't order anything new either. It may take awhile to sell. And it's only 8 days until black friday if you live in the usa. It starts thanksgiving night at many stores. You may find some deals then at frys and newegg. I would start by asking $175 plus shipping. It's used stuff; too many folks overprice their stuff. It won't move if the price is high.

Thronk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I'm not trying to sell anything. I'll just pass down the old hardware to my other PC.
I just need advice on that old socket 1156 Asus board, and if I should just buy the Gigabyte Mobo/Sandy bridge instead.

nikorian

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 that does SLI just fine. The only issue I have is that it does 1 slot X16 and the other X8

it has been flawless in its operation...

Return the card, sell the one you have and buy a 580 lightning or Asus DCU then overclock for great results. Your current Motherboard and CPU will in no way limit anything.

I recommend this as an option as I do not know much about SLI with 8 + 8 PCIE lanes.

I've read the losses are up to 8 % but this is with really high end cards.
The 560ti is a great card but not really as powerful as the surely amazing cards that were used in the reviews you have read.

Solution

Thronk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

I've read the same, losses are not that great. Or noticeable.
Returning the new MSI card I just purchased through Newegg is not something I thought of. And if the 580 lightning will play BF3 on ultra or very close, that seems to be a good option. It'll give back $240.00 and the lightning is $525.00 -This one? or the Xtreme

Thronk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Thing is, I bought that card on a visa gift card, so it can't have funds added back to it. Wonder how newegg will issue this.

And the xtreme is already sold out :(

Thronk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Thank you, went through the Live Chat and they said if the refund fails to go through the original purchase method, they'll send a check. Started the RMA process.
Once I get the refund, hopefully that MSI Lightning Etreme will be in stock.

Thank you all for your help :sol: