[SOLVED] Socket 1366 CPU Upgrade

fragzzone

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2013
I'm looking for an affordable upgrade to an old Gigabyte mobo with socket 1366 (Socket 1366 - Intel X58 - GA-EX58-UD4P). It currently has an i7 920 paired with a GTX 970 video card, currently the cpu seems to be a bottleneck, I need something affordable that would hold up to a GTX 1070 in the near future.

Any advise or suggestions are more than welcome.

Solution
What cooler temps were you getting and whats your ambient temp?

Cpu / motherboards can vary so my settings may not work but give it ago. Excuse the caps, i've just copy pasted what i had written in a notepad file.

Make sure your bios is upto date and you can run cpu ratio of 21. Nehalem likes odd multipliers.
SPEEDSTEP: DISABLED

CPU Ratio: 21
BCLK FREQ: 191
PCIE FREQ: 100
DRAM FREQ: 1149
UCLK FREQ: 2298
QPI LINK: AUTO

______

CPU VOLTAGE: 1.27
CPU PLL: 1.88
QPI/DRAM 1.27
C1E SUPPORT: ENABLED
HT: ENABLED
A20M: DISABLED
INTEL CSTATE: DISABLED

Just a note on memory speed, try not have it too high. I've had to back it off from 1600 to 1149 to make stable which isn't a great deal, maybe you can run it higher but if it crashes try...
The only real suggestion is overclocking. That 920 was able to overclock so well the other CPU for that socket are really not worth the purchase.

A modern highly clocked Pentium would game circles around your current setup.

50 to 60 for the cpu
50 to 60 for ram
50 to 60 for the cheap motherboard.

I can't recommend another CPU for that socket, buy
Half decent 30 dollar cooler and overclock to 4ghz.

Even still a modern. Pentium is gonna be far better for gaming

fragzzone

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2013

Thanks for your reply. OC was the main idea when I got the setup and I did with a decent air cooler but the tropical weather where I live make it difficult. The PC would crash while gaming when OC.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What cooler temps were you getting and whats your ambient temp?

Cpu / motherboards can vary so my settings may not work but give it ago. Excuse the caps, i've just copy pasted what i had written in a notepad file.

Make sure your bios is upto date and you can run cpu ratio of 21. Nehalem likes odd multipliers.
SPEEDSTEP: DISABLED

CPU Ratio: 21
BCLK FREQ: 191
PCIE FREQ: 100
DRAM FREQ: 1149
UCLK FREQ: 2298
QPI LINK: AUTO

______

CPU VOLTAGE: 1.27
CPU PLL: 1.88
QPI/DRAM 1.27
C1E SUPPORT: ENABLED
HT: ENABLED
A20M: DISABLED
INTEL CSTATE: DISABLED

Just a note on memory speed, try not have it too high. I've had to back it off from 1600 to 1149 to make stable which isn't a great deal, maybe you can run it higher but if it crashes try lower it.

Solution

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
990x would be quite a bit faster bot stock and overclock if you could find a used one on the cheap, would be best to just upgrade mb and cpu

Looks like they go for $200 on ebay, which is like twice what id want to pay for it.