Cunninglinguist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Ok guys I just bought a lot of Compaq ipaqs they have 500 Celerons (no sse) and the Intel 810e chipset. I've been reading up on the socket 370 different packaging and what not, but I'm curious how far i could upgrade these. I know they did a Pentium 500 and a celery 766 on these boxes with the same chipset and bios, so I’m assuming i'm stuck with a 66 FSB. One of the bios revision notes mentions "Added Coppermine D0 microcode patch for latest processor stepping." So i took the plunge and picked up some 370 procs, assuming that the majority will be compatible. I know that CPU voltage is an issue.

I should have the computers sometime today, so I’ll know more this week.

I've googled my A$$ off, unfortunately, the 370 was a bit before my time. Any help will be greatly appreciated. As soon as I get them up, they'll be folding for Tom's :D

As a side note the support manual lists a 68 pin "multibay" ide port on page 86. I'm having a ton of trouble with this one. I can’t find drives, cables or any other info on it (and to think that I vowed to never buy proprietary pre built computers a long time ago :oops: )

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, you're not limitted to 66MHz bus, you should already know this and it irritates me to have to tell you the PIII 500 was 100MHz bus.

Now the real question turns to, does the thing support 133MHz bus?

I'd probably toss in some PIII 850's since the 500 Socket 370 and 850 used the same tech (cross compatible due to multiplier locks and the same core being used).

Feel free to try a 133MHz FSB PIII in there if you'd like. If you have one laying around it would be easy to test the thing. If you find for example a PIII 667 works, then you could run any of the 133MHz FSB Coppermine cores, which went up to 1.0GHz

As for anything faster, or the newer Tualatin 1000, well, you'll need an adapter to do that, and it might still not work.

Cunninglinguist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Sorry to irritate you Crash, but if you reread my post, the boards are running 500 CELERONS, not PIIIs, which were a 66MHz FSB.
check here
or here
and especially here
I'm assuming that you are implying that because they made a model with a P3, then all of them can run a 100FSB. I hope you're right. I was actually asking what my options were if these boxes are stuck at 66MHz.
I was hoping a "master historian", like you, would help me out. I'll let you know as soon as i get into the bios of one of these, if you're interested.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I already helped you out. You said the box would support PIII 500's, that was a Coppermine processor with 100MHz bus (prior to CD0 stepping), yadda yadda you know it supports 100MHz bus (at least).

i810E supported 133MHz bus, but eh, Compaq/HP could have some boards that didn't. On the other hand CD0 stepping became famous because it was the one used most frequently on PIII 1000EB's.

So your board supports 100MHz FSB for sure. It should support 133MHz FSB as well. And voltage won't be a problem so long as that revision of your board supports a PIII 500, because that processor required the newer voltage regulator version.

I believe even these companies wouldn't be so back-assedwards as to put the newer chipset revision on the older VRM, so it should support all 100MHz FSB PIII's and probably supports 133MHz FSB versions as well.

So like I said, you should find a 133MHz FSB PIII (any speed) and stick it in. The CPU table might report the wrong speed, but as long as it looks "about right" (for example, a PIII 667 reported as a 650), it's working fine.