Socket 478 and PCI-E?

Shibumi7

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Alright, I've done my fair bit of searching and havn't turned up much worthwhile... I was hoping someone here might know something I don't.

Here's the problem.... I'm not ready yet financially to put together my brand new dream machine, but my current computer is showing its age, but in only one department.

Specs:
Pentium 4 HT 2.8 ghz (clocked to 3.1)
2048 MB of Dual Channel DDR 400
2x 10,000 RPM WD Raptors in Raid-0
ATI Radeon 9800 XT 128 MB

Now... as all of you can see where I'm lacking in power, my video card needs to go. I like the proc very much, I have a ton of ram, and super fast hard drives. Here comes the second problem.... instead of just being able to update my vid card, AGP is pretty much dead\dying. So naturally I'd want PCI-E. Well that would mean I need a new motherboard... The problem you say? I can't find an ATX socket 478, with DDR 400 Dual channel, SATA, and PCI-E all together. People just don't like the idea of my processor with PCI-E.

So if any of you know about a good motherboard that could fit my current system, I would be forevor indebted to you.

Also, if you think I could get a just as powerful AGP card for the same price as a new Mobo + PCI-E card, let me know.

My theory was: A mobo + middle of the road PCI-E = 200$ same as a much better AGP card than mine right now = 200$

Not to mention, if I upgrade to PCI-E, I can take the old video cards from the Dream machine, when that time comes and put them into this machine and keep it updated. I'd really like to get this machine over to PCI-E, it would just make life a lot simpler with 2 machines.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
usually for oddballs look to someone like Asrock e.g. the P4Dual-915GL.
the problem is that nobody likes stocking low volume items like that so you may have trouble finding 1 ...

On the other hand an AGP X1950 Pro maybe just the gfx upgrade that you want.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Given your situation I'd vote for the 1950 or better yet a 7600 for a bit less, the 7600 should give you a fair amount of extra life while leaving you some more money to hurry your complete rebuild.

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
7800GS

You could look at something like the 7800GS AGP to hold you over until a complete rebuild. there is also 7600 in the agp or x1950 in agp. These cards perform as well as the pci variant but may cost a little more because of lower quantities.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
This is one of the few cases where a higher-end AGP video card offering will make sense. Keeping your system as is with a newer graphics card will work.
There really is no good PCI-E mobo available to match your other components. A few were made for non-U.S. markets, but they are long gone now.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
You're right, I didn't bother.
Buff hit it on the head with the "oddball" characterization.
I have a hard enough time mentioning the AsRock option when someone wants to buy a Conroe but keep the old ram and newly purchased expensive AGP card.
In this case, why buy a mobo at all?
Just get a better graphics card and call it a day...

Shibumi7

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks for all your replies, I've been mulling it over all day back and forth. I have looked at that card before, and I don't know how keen I am on having a micro ATX board, I'm a fan of a lot of PCI slots. Even if I can get past that and minimize my PCI usage... it only has 2 ram slots which unfortunately my 2gb of dual channel is in two pairs of 512mb... so I'm leaning a lot more heavily on finding a good x1950 PRO on rebate or a similiar card such as the 7600 GT.

Thanks for all the help, its very much appreciated. Any hot deals on a x1950 PRO out there? or a 7600 GT?

I'm only kind of partial to nvidia just because ATI's drivers have given me a particular pain in the past.

Edit: Although.... the price on that mobo is looking rather appealing... I can't choose!

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
By the time your x1950 AGP is getting long in the tooth, the rest of your components will be showing their age. Even a 3.1 ghz Northwood isn't that futureproof. If you got a new mobo, you'd have to deal with all the stress of moving everything over, as well as potentially poor tech-support and hardware compatibility.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
By the time your x1950 AGP is getting long in the tooth, the rest of your components will be showing their age. Even a 3.1 ghz Northwood isn't that futureproof. If you got a new mobo, you'd have to deal with all the stress of moving everything over, as well as potentially poor tech-support and hardware compatibility.

Exactly.

x1950pro ftw.

Shibumi7

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Okay, well I decided on that card, however upon further research and inspection, I think I may have run into a power problem... I reposted this issue as it now has nothing to do with my motherboard, and its in the Graphics Card portion.

Here is a redirect link: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/x1950-PRO-AGP-PSU-ftopict229381.html

Thanks for all the help so far, I hope a few of you know about PSUs and the power consumption of the x1950 as well :)

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Okay, well I decided on that card, however upon further research and inspection, I think I may have run into a power problem... I reposted this issue as it now has nothing to do with my motherboard, and its in the Graphics Card portion.

Here is a redirect link: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/x1950-PRO-AGP-PSU-ftopict229381.html

Thanks for all the help so far, I hope a few of you know about PSUs and the power consumption of the x1950 as well :)

That PSU should be more than enough for that graphics card!