Socket 478 - need to upgrade mobo - what would you get?

hawkes

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I have an Asus P4PE mobo right now and need to upgrade to an 865 or 875 chipset so that nothing else needs to be replaced. Unfortutnately, building a completely new PC is out of the budget so I need to be conservative. I have seen several boards out there that fit the bill, but alas, none available any longer (GigaByte GA-8KNXP or the MSI 875P Neo2-FISR). It would be really sweet if I could locate one of the boards that supported the 478 socket on the 915 chipset and get pci-x graphics instead of the agp since I have a pci-x card sitting around (Albatron PX915P4C PRO, ASRock P4DUAL-915GL, or Asus P4GD1).

The one exception seems to be the Intel D865PERLL. TH reviewed this board before and had some concerns about the memory. Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved? I can't imagine it would be worse than the P4PE board I have right now.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

-Hawkes

jwiggins

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2005
If you have to get a 865 chipset & you don't overclock I would lean towards the Intel 965PERLL it's a very stable board.

If you don't need a new board & are willing to find a used board get a Abit IC7-MAX3 it is and will always be one of the best overclockers around.

As far as finding a 915 with LGA478 support & PCI-E... Good luck!
I know a monster does exists but where to find it???

hawkes

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
If you have to get a 865 chipset & you don't overclock I would lean towards the Intel 965PERLL it's a very stable board.

I assume you mean the 865PERLL.

If you don't need a new board & are willing to find a used board get a Abit IC7-MAX3 it is and will always be one of the best overclockers around.

I'm not an overclocker, but that doesn't mean I would turn it down given the right conditions.

As far as finding a 915 with LGA478 support & PCI-E... Good luck!
I know a monster does exists but where to find it???

There are three that I know of as I mentioned... the Albatron, the ASRock and the Asus. Of all of them, the only used one I found (Asus) was on eBay.

TRENDING THREADS