Socket 754 Lidded/Lidless difference?

atragorn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
This may be a stupid question. I apologize if it is :)

I have an extra socket 754mb collecting dust and I have everything else I would need for it except a cpu.
I see socket 754 lidless cpus with 1mb of cache and faster then the Lidded ones so they seem interesting.

Can I use them in a desktop socket 754 board though ?

TIA

ir_efrem

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
You will more than likely need to modify the plastic stand area of the CPU retention module. From what I remember reading its like a couple millimeters or so and that allows the heatsink to touch the CPU. With no modification the heatsink will not touch the CPU.

There *might* be an issue with the motherboard not supporting the CPU as well, you may want to look around some message boards and see if yur mobo will support it.

I assume this is a DTR chip (laptop CPU)??

atragorn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Yes its a laptop cpu. I do not know what the difference between the turion and the sempron is socket wise. The only difference appears to be this lidded(sempron) and lidless turion. Well other then the fact that turions have double the cache and greater clockspeed. Thats simple they want you to buy an x2 or something instead. But I already have an abit socket 754mb sitting here is why I ask.

So is there no heat spreader on the turion ? Or is it the socket itself is different like lower profile but otherwise the same ?

Couldnt seem to find a photo to compare.

TIA

You can buy the lids on ebay. Or simply get an aftermarket heatsink with custom plates and tensioners to prevent the core from cracking. Msi boards will recognize the turions and post, but you still need multiplier adjustments to get them to run correctly on some boards. Most boards won't run turion mobiles with cool and quiet enabled. It doesn't work.

atragorn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
By lid you mean the heat spreader I take it ?
I saw a guy selling the cpus on ebay but was not sure if it was legit. Never bought anything from ebay before.
I have another socket 754 mb floating around that IS an msi I could switch if necessary.

Thanks

HelzBelz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2002
... O.K. --> old thread but similar question, so here it goes:

I already have a bunch of socket 754 mobos and Athlon 64 lidless CPUs (all old overstock).

Already tested: these parts work just fine together.

Problem is: the only heatsink that I have which manages to make contact with the bare core (without hitting the sides of the socket first) is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64.

However, in this situation (lidless CPU), the Freezer 64's contact is not tight (no real tension adjustement) so my tests were done in open air, mobo horizontal, with pretty much only the weight of the cooler to secure a good enough contact, with fingers crossed to not knock things around...

Question: Anyone have any suggestion for a basic but reliable heatsink which would allow me to adjust tension down to the level of a lidless socket 754 / 939 CPU?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

HelzBelz

CoachB

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
HelzBelz,

If you use the mounting bracket on the mobo, then NO most heatsinks won't fit properly because they are designed to have the proper amount of pressure using the bracket on a "lidded" CPU.
Some of the heatsinks that use bolts thru the mobo can be adjusted to work but you can tighten those too much.
You can also trim/sand parts of the OEM bracket to make it lower but you have to do this by trial and error.
Good Luck!