Socket 939 CPU Question

ajhockey3

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
I have an older Socket 939 computer that im upgrading for use for my parents to use for email watch youtube ect.
It currently has an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ cpu in it over clocked to 2.2Ghz(stock is 2Ghz)
it has the stock heatsink.
it has a 470W power supply.
my friend has an Amd athlon 64 FX-60 Cpu witch i have been told is the best socket 939 processor for $10 if i want.
Is it worth it?
Will I require a Power supply upgrade?
my motherboard is an Asus A8V-Deluxe.

Solution
The biggest question is will that board support it without a BIOS update. I think you should be fine PSU wise. The Athlon 64 3200+ is a 89W CPU and when OCed like that is probably near or over 100W. The FX-60 is a 110W stock CPU.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=21&m=A8V Deluxe&os=17&hashedid=tvpdgPNCPaABZRVU

The board supports it but needs BIOS version 1017.002. Make sure you have that BIOS version and you will be good to go.
The biggest question is will that board support it without a BIOS update. I think you should be fine PSU wise. The Athlon 64 3200+ is a 89W CPU and when OCed like that is probably near or over 100W. The FX-60 is a 110W stock CPU.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=21&m=A8V Deluxe&os=17&hashedid=tvpdgPNCPaABZRVU

The board supports it but needs BIOS version 1017.002. Make sure you have that BIOS version and you will be good to go.

Solution
You need to use the Asus BIOS update tool in the downloads section for your motherboard. That system is too old for USB based BIOS flashing. It is pretty simple. I had a Asus P4Pe and P4P800 Deluxe that both used the Windows update utility and I never had an issue.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Last bios I flashed was my Athlon X2 ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe, I used my floppy drive. (And an AOL free trial disk just for funs)

I think my rampage III formula took USB. Haven't updated my Hero yet, waiting to see if anything is worthwhile in terms of Broadwell, but I doubt it.

Broadwell is the 14nm shrink to Haswell. For you and myself, I have a 4670K, Skylake will be the next way to go if you want a upgrade as that is a new uArch. Should also support DDR4, PCIe 4 and a whole bunch of new ideas.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I ended up with a pretty terrible i7 sample, and was just hoping to swap chips. i7-4790k is an option, but wouldn't be much of an improvement. So I had hoped for Broadwell support with Z87, but it isn't looking likely. Though since it is a ROG board they might put a little more effort into it. I know ASUS took their sweet time releasing a BIOS update for my AM2 board which promised future support for Phenom processors. Right after I switched to Intel they released the update.

Were I to build a new system today I would probably hop back on to the X platform, even though I have no real reason to do so.