socket A, 462, 754, 939 confusion

I have an amd xp2000+ in an asus a7n8x (rev 1.06) motherboard and not only
is it noisy, it sits at 56C most of the time. I decided to upgrade to a new
cpu but here is where the confusion starts. The Sempron 3100+ is socket 754,
I know 939 is 64bit and requires a new motherboard but I thought you could
just buy a sempron and stick in it any motherboard that supported socket A.
Side note, I browsed the asus website looking at their pcb 2.0 a7n8x boards
and they don't even say what socket it supports, just "Socket A for AMD
AthlonT XP/AthlonT / DuronT
Thoroughbred/ Barton Core Support" which isn't saying much. why don't they
just give pin numbers? Anyways after some investigation my assumptions about
the 64bit cpus were wrong too. Some of them are socket 754 (sempron 3100,
athlon 64 etc). My little noise problem has now turned into a full
motherboard and cpu upgrade and I'm not sure what cpu to get.

socket A and 462 are the same If you keep your mb, you will need socket
A/462 cpu.

"Monster" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote in message
> I have an amd xp2000+ in an asus a7n8x (rev 1.06) motherboard and not only
> is it noisy, it sits at 56C most of the time. I decided to upgrade to a
new
> cpu but here is where the confusion starts. The Sempron 3100+ is socket
754,
> I know 939 is 64bit and requires a new motherboard but I thought you could
> just buy a sempron and stick in it any motherboard that supported socket
A.
> Side note, I browsed the asus website looking at their pcb 2.0 a7n8x
boards
> and they don't even say what socket it supports, just "Socket A for AMD
> AthlonT XP/AthlonT / DuronT
> Thoroughbred/ Barton Core Support" which isn't saying much. why don't they
> just give pin numbers? Anyways after some investigation my assumptions
about
> the 64bit cpus were wrong too. Some of them are socket 754 (sempron 3100,
> athlon 64 etc). My little noise problem has now turned into a full
> motherboard and cpu upgrade and I'm not sure what cpu to get.

"Monster" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote:

>I have an amd xp2000+ in an asus a7n8x (rev 1.06) motherboard and
>not only is it noisy, it sits at 56C most of the time.

The CPU/fan being noisy probably isn't the mainboard's fault. You
could try a new heat sink (with grease) and fan.

>I decided to upgrade to a new cpu but here is where the confusion
>starts.

Like jacoby said (assuming correct), if you keep your current
mainboard you will need a socket A/462 CPU. That is simple enough.

>...My little noise problem has now turned into a full
>motherboard and cpu upgrade and I'm not sure what cpu to get.

Just go to an online store.

http://tinyurl.com/29ys4
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ThirdCategoryList.jsp?SecondCategoryCode=0114

There you see a bunch of links to mainboards according to CPU type.

Is that confusing?

If you would like recommendations, you'll need to specify what you
intend to use the computer for and what you're willing to pay.

Good luck.

I wrote:

>Is that confusing?

What I meant was "If it is confusing, please explain why."

Monster wrote:
> I have an amd xp2000+ in an asus a7n8x (rev 1.06) motherboard and not only
> is it noisy, it sits at 56C most of the time. I decided to upgrade to a new
> cpu but here is where the confusion starts. The Sempron 3100+ is socket 754,
> I know 939 is 64bit and requires a new motherboard but I thought you could
> just buy a sempron and stick in it any motherboard that supported socket A.
> Side note, I browsed the asus website looking at their pcb 2.0 a7n8x boards
> and they don't even say what socket it supports, just "Socket A for AMD
> AthlonT XP/AthlonT / DuronT
> Thoroughbred/ Barton Core Support" which isn't saying much. why don't they
> just give pin numbers? Anyways after some investigation my assumptions about
> the 64bit cpus were wrong too. Some of them are socket 754 (sempron 3100,
> athlon 64 etc). My little noise problem has now turned into a full
> motherboard and cpu upgrade and I'm not sure what cpu to get.

The "Sempron" is just a brand name which is used for some socket A (462)
and skt 754 processors. Further, mobos generally only support processors
which were made before the mobo was shipped - they can normally support
later processors with a BIOS upgrade (eg. older socket A mobos will need
a BIOS upgrade to support socket A Semprons). According to the Asus
website, the A7N8X needs at least BIOS 1010 to support Semprons 2200 - 3000.

more info here http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx