Socket A Motherboards with Thermal Sensors

G

I am going to be building a new system this weekend and I am wondering if anyone knows good Socket A motherboards with Thermal sensors. I am very paranoid about damaging the CPU and I don't even OC...go figure.

Any input on this topic would be appreciated.

mpjesse

Splendid
Just get a good heatsink/fan and you'll never have to worry. I promise. The best thermal sensor is the one you buy on cooling sites and have to manually hook up. =)

-MP Jesse

G

I'd go with an Asus Board. Good software monitoring that is now linked with (calibrated by) your BIOS temperature monitoring in the latest version of 'PC Probe.' The above thread is right though. By the time you notice it's too hot, you've already fried it. But if your o'clocking with the FSB in 1mHz increments, it's a good way to guage whether or not your heating things up and to what degree (literally).
:)
The other advantage to the Asus boards is their awesome BIOS updates through the software. Takes all the worry out of flashing your BIOS. The A7V is a great board for a Duron or Athlon/T-bird system.

Good luck,
MB

G

i have a gigabyte ga-7zx mb it does not allow multiplier or voltage adjustments.
it does have a thermal probe in the socket and has proven to be very stable for me. (even after i attacked it with my soldering iron!)

G

nope just pulled some pins out and replaced them with some wires so i could modify the multiplier and voltage with dipswitchex. took my 600 up to 863 with a 7.5 multiplier.
heat keeps me from anything faster. i am using a fep 32 heatsink. it did post at 1000 but crashed loading windows.
also it isnt happy over 53c.

G

The soyo K7VTA-B has a sensor plus a feature that will shut down the system if the fan quits. Can't speak to whether either works well since I am unwilling to experiment.
Won't kid you about reliability. My jury is still out. The VIA KT133 drivers are my current suspect for lockup problems. Currently I am running 98se with onky the IRQ router installed from VIA. Plan to add other cautiosly after extented run periods.
Also know that you cannot over cool the socket A chips. I have the AMD HSF combo plus an intake caze fan. I have found that the heat rises when the side is on the case so I plan to get a second case fan for exhaust which will produce a positive airflow over the processor.

G

i love my via chipets but my hotburn software hates the bussmaster drivers. so for speed i use all the 4in1 drivers
when i want to burn i uninstall the bussmaster drivers and reboot.
(i am still running osr2 w/usb support)

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

G

It is my current understanding that the 4in1 busmaster driver casues contention with the Microsoft version which remains installed. I am still a little unsure about this. VIA does not provide clear guidelines on this for sure.
If you have downloaded the individual drivers you will find two text files after decompressing. Readme.txt and release.txt. Readme.txt specificly says
"1) System Requirements

* This package should be installed on the VIA Bus Master IDE chipset,
VT82C580VP or later, and others' chipset will not be supported."
That chip is not on this board.
Release.txt does not mention this but it also does not specifcly mention the 686B Southbridge which is the chip that handles the UDMA functions.
What concerns me is the lack of a way to know that UDMA is opeating wih only the Microsoft driver installed. Given that Device Manager shows zero DMA channel use it appears that no UDMA modes being are used.
Based on this there is more exploration to be done.

G

no it wouldn't the vt82c580vp is via's northbridge for socket 7 boards (pre super 7). if you are running a via based board you are covered bty the clause that states "or later". others chipsets mean amd,intel, sis, or ali.
i am still researching the rest but did you check the boxes during the 4in1 setup to install and enable the via bussmaster drivers (you have to specify which drives that you want dma enabled on).

who is more foolish...

G

Think I've messed with every combination of settings and drivers. Looking out on the VIA section of the cyrix.com site this FAQ is present in the Busmaster driver section
"Q: My system uses Win98 so should I install the VIA bus master & AGP
drivers?
A: Microsoft has bundled full support for VIA chipsets into Win98 therefore it isn't
necessary to install the VIA bus master driver but VIA suggests installing the
VIA AGP driver and IrQ routing miniport driver. Check out the Win98 FAQ for
Win 98 installation procedures with VIA chipsets. "
So far I agree. I am currently running with IRQ, AGP and INF. After a bit more inverstigation I found a DMA enable in the actual drive section of 98's Device Manager. It was off. Now checked. While I will admit that my system is the most stable that it has been to date I'm not going to say it is 100% yet. Just has not run long enough and I have yet to set up my PCI network card again.

G

cool... good luck!

who is more foolish...